What is the best way to clean PFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi all,

My new tank has been up and running for about 5 days and I am ready to do a PWC and I see some stuff on the PFS.

I have always had gravel so can anyone tell me the best way to clean with PFS?

I just learned about building a higher amount in the back so I have not done this yet. I am going to after the PWC.

Thanks in advance.

Pool filter sand can be cleaned with a reguar gravel vacuum, or so have been told. I don't yet have my 58 gallon (which will have PFS substrate) set up yet to test it out. Maybe someone else can verify? You might get an Apple Snail, though. They can help a lot with little clean up stuff.

You can clean the sand by hovering the vacuum right over the top. It is heavy enough that you wont suck it out if you are careful.

if you have a python, either
1. hover 1-2" above PFS.
2. reduce sink flow, which in turn will reduce suction power.

I just wave my python above the surface to kick up some of the crud, then catch the crud with the python before it settles. :)

Thanks Guys,

I cleaned it today and it was a breeze and I have not even purchased a python yet. I never knew what I was missing when I had gravel for all those years. PFS is # 1 in my book. With gravel no matter how much you clean you always have stuff floating around, not with PFS. I can see it all, and get it all. I owe all the PFS stuff to all of you. And nothing looks better when you have a black stand, hood, and white sand. You all are the best.

You're right, there's nothing better than the contast between black paint and PFS. Now, once you paint your back glass black, you'll never go back... :D

Back
Top Bottom