What is the difference between a brackish and freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquachic4545

Aquarium Advice Regular
Originally, I thought I was setting up a brackish tank but now after reading some websites...I've come to realize I may have a freshwater tank with just a light amount of aquarium salt. Apparently, brackish is a different type of salt? Am I right? I guess I'm trying to get my definitions straight.

Also, if I'm adding aquarium salt and not sea salt (per the websites out there), do I really need it? I suspect I'm under a total misconception of what brackish is versus freshwater.

Sigh. This is what comes of being a total newbee.

A brackish water (BW) tank has sea salt like Instant Ocean (IO). A tank with aqua salt is a FW tank with salt. Some say you can use aqua salt to create a BW tank, but it doesn't have the nutrients IO does for healthy fish.

The salt content in brackish water is significantly higher than the salt content in an FW set up containing 'some salt'.

For example the amount of marine salt mix (not 'aquarium salt') required to increase FW to low-end brackish (1.005 specific gravity/SG) is about two or three tablespoons (6-9 teaspoons) per gallon (depending on variables); twice those amounts for mid-range brackish (1.010 SG), and triple those for high-end brackish (1.015 SG).

Ok. I now have to change my tank description. Apparently, I have a freshwater tank. I feel like I've been driving a volvo and suddenly found out it's really a toyota. Grin. Thanks for the information. That totally changes what I thought I was doing.

Thanks. Yours is pretty cool too! I love the evil bat. Grin. My signature pretty much reflects what I've been doing with my aquariums. It's insane!

Thanks. Yours is pretty cool too! I love the evil bat. Grin. My signature pretty much reflects what I've been doing with my aquariums. It's insane!
thanks.its a quote from a harry potter book,and i liked the smilies.so i added them.

Ok. I now have to change my tank description. Apparently, I have a freshwater tank. I feel like I've been driving a volvo and suddenly found out it's really a toyota. Grin. Thanks for the information. That totally changes what I thought I was doing.

I wouldn't say you have to change it. If all you have is the tank, just do some massive PWC and get the aqua salt out. Get some IO and a refractometer and you can still do BW. I started my cycle in FW and converted to BW (planted), but you can cycle BW, just get your SG above 1.002-3 and once it's cycled adjust the SG up or down to the fish you get. I'm keeping mine at 1.002-3 until I have my baby GSP ordered and will adjust it to them (figuring 1.005).

Back
Top Bottom