What is the ideal light for a heavily planted 10 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cich--Oh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was sold a dual 40w satellite with an actinic blub for 170 dollars at the LFS. After researching my buy, I'm finding that this is a light for reef aquariums. Did they rip me off? I will it definitely help me grow any species of plant?

Actinic bulbs really won't do much for plants and 80w is really too much light for a 10g. I'm not sure if you got a deal or not, but the light would be better suited for a larger tank.

I'd only use one daylight bulb in the fixture over a 10g and then replace the actinic with a daylight spectrum bulb when you get a larger tank. Even with one 40w over a 10g, you're going to need CO2 and fertilizers or you'll end up with a soup of algae.

yes they did. thats way to much light like bigjim said. there is no ideal light out there. it really depends on what type of set up you want. a lot of people take the incandescent hoods and put 2 cfl bulbs in there. depending on how many watt bulb you toss in there it can grow low to medium light plants.

Mgamer is right on with the spiral type of bulbs that is what I use on anything 10 gallons and under. I like easy care no fuss planted tanks, more natural without a lot of fertilizers and CO2.

Hopefully they will take it back.

Actually since these small aquariums requires a lot more WPG than larger aquariums to hit the various lighting levels, you would be fine using that fixture as long as you're planning to use CO2 and ferts. I use one with a daylight and a 50/50 bulb for approximately 6WPG and it behaves like a high light aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom