what is the TICKING sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgkaelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
my 30 gallon's lighting is shorting out. i turn it on and SOMETIMES used to give a TICK TICK and then the light would turn on. now it is flickering ALL day long, i think my fish are going crazy : ( . when the light goes off, i hear the same TICK , then the light goes off for 1-2 seconds, then it turns back on. do i need a new BULB? or could it be the FUSE? i'm using ALL-GLASS 29g aquarium lighting (what it came with -- i haven't made any alterations) . i'm not sure how to fix it or what needs to be done. any help? what is the source!

The ticking is normal with fluourescent bulbs starting up. If the bulb or starter are going bad, you'll get the irregularities and difficulty staying lit. Try a new bulb first. If the problem persists, change the starter.

actually, considering how cheap starters are, you might try a new starter first...especially if the bulb isn't that old, or doesn't have the dark bands at the ends.
I'd pull the current starter when you go to the hardware store, so you get the exact same type.

One more vote for the starter. I had almost the exact same thing happen to me (back when I used standard hoods, and a new starter was all I needed.

Back
Top Bottom