What is this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive had this algae on my walls for a while and cant figure out what it is, its hard to scrape off even with a razor blade.

image-1665081948.jpg

image-2115155787.jpg

image-4043851085.jpg

(its the green stuff that looks like green coralline)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what it is. Its the start of coralline on your glass. If you get a magnet and clean the glass every other day it wont show up.

do i have the same thing? if so i keep scraping it off but keeps coming back?

Attachments

• image-1281704692.jpg
    image-1281704692.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 84
Coralline algae comes in many colors. The round spots of hard to scrape color are a dead giveaway.
What melosu58 was saying is that a gentle scrub every other day will help prevent it from forming in the first place. So, razor blade it off, and run your mag cleaner across the glass every day or so, and it shouldn't come back too easily.
As for the hair question, coralline algae is tough and brittle. There are a few varieties that will form branch or plate like extensions, but if hair algae grows over it, that is just because it's an easier surface to grip than bare glass.

I use this scraper made of acrylic. Works great as long as you make sure to hold it tight & make full contact on the acrylic otherwise you can scratch your tank.

Attachments

• image-637286607.jpg
    image-637286607.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 52
No I got it from a guy who sells them. You just hold it at about a 60 degree angle and scrape. Mine needs to be sharpened though. New the beveled edge looks more pronounced. All you do is sand it with a block to re-sharpen it.

i mean im building a sump and i have some left over 3/8" that i could prob use to make my own?

Back
Top Bottom