What is this crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katfish22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This crab appeared a few days after adding new corals to my tank. Any idea what kind it is n if its reef safe?

image-641997024.jpg

Really difficult to tell from that photo. The proportions seem to be off for the real mean ones I'm familiar with, but I am a member of the "there are no reef safe crabs" club.
Crabs are opportunistic feeders. Event he supposedly herbivorous crabs such as emerald mythrax have been known to find meat too tasty to pass up. For every story of a crab behaving for years, there is at least one more of a crab attacking and eating corals. I personally have gone through two emerald crabs. The first ate zoas and tried toe at my torch. The second hitched his way in and picked the flesh clean from a green birds nest coral. So I am two for two. That's softies, LPS, and SPS eaten.
Even the filter feeding porcelain crab used to attack my nassarius snails as they slid on by.
Besides, it's far easier to ID the crab once it is captured. Try a glass jar at an angle with food inside it.

Back
Top Bottom