What is this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lerzygirl4god

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I know it is a schooling live bearer fish but that is it. I got it at pet Co and it came in a shipment of danios. I don't think it is a danio. They said they were just add ins and they did not know what they were. Does anyone by chance know?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412358157981.jpg
    1412358157981.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 141
Looks to me like a dwarf rainbowfish

Why buy a fish without researching it first?? You dont even know what type it is so how do you know what water parameters it needs or even what tank size it requires?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Def a rainbow, they're extremely extremely active and do best in larger groups, may want to get it slime friends or take it back..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As has been said, definitely a rainbowfish. My best guess is a young Melanotaenia fluviatilis. But, a few of the young ones look similar and I am not superb at telling them all apart. They can get decently sized, and are rather rambunctious. They also seem to prefer to be in groups IME. I would have to agree that taking it back would be your best option unless you can house it properly. http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Rainbowfish/AustralianRainbowfish.jpg
I don't believe it is the Maccullochi because even the juvies have a bit more striping, and the body is not quite the right shape for the praecox (dwarf). JMO.

Normally I do research but I thought it was a type of danio. That is what the person at the pet store said so I was treating it as such. Plus it was with danios and schooling with tgem. I have 4 of them and deem super happy and healthy. I just thought it was another danio so I was asking what kind of danio. If I thought I could not take care of it or it was not healthy or happy I would have taken it back. But i have had them for 2 months now and are super happy and healthy.

Some people don't know their job. That is a rainbow fish for shure. Rainbowfish do prefer being in groups but it is not necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok well i have the 4 together with a ml bunch of other schooling fish in a 55 gal and they seem to be super happy, healthy and active.

If it's happy and healthy just enjoy it, it won't outgrow your tank so if you like it, keep it! ?

Thanks mrgazza. I feel like everyone had been beating me up for buying them. I usually check do my research but I also knew I could take care of them so I did not. Thanks for the positive words.

Its definitely a rainbow, and likely is a femalr due to the brownish coloration. However im fairly positive its not a praecox. Other than that I cant give a positive id. They are egg layers though

That my friend is the Australian Rainbowfish. I have one just like it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412401958.129922.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using Aquarium Advice

You can purchase this beautiful fish at Petsmart. The size of my Australian Rainbow Fish is about 5" long. When I had first bought it, it was just half inch. I spoil my fishes, I feed them 2-3 times a day. All fishes I buy from Petsmart or Petco have grown very big in a matter of months, I figured I must be doing something right. ?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all for your help. I will keep making my rainbow fish happy and healthy.

Thanks mrgazza. I feel like everyone had been beating me up for buying them. I usually check do my research but I also knew I could take care of them so I did not. Thanks for the positive words.

Pleasure to help ?

Back
Top Bottom