What is this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a little bit of diatoms all the time, like your currently, in my brackish tank with sand and i always get a huge diatom take over once a month when i do a big water change and sand cleaning and filter clean up and all that good stuff but after a week my nerites get to all of it.

Homer8 said:
I have a little bit of diatoms all the time, like your currently, in my brackish tank with sand and i always get a huge diatom take over once a month when i do a big water change and sand cleaning and filter clean up and all that good stuff but after a week my nerites get to all of it.

So I have it. What do I do with it? Some have said leave it some say take decorations out and clean them one even said i need to take my fish out.

get a nerite. they are attractive looking snails and they eat diatomes, atleast mine do. both of mine devour it. you do not have to take your fish out. it looks to me like you have sand in the tank which is the main reason you get diatomes.

Homer8 said:
get a nerite. they are attractive looking snails and they eat diatomes, atleast mine do. both of mine devour it. you do not have to take your fish out. it looks to me like you have sand in the tank which is the main reason you get diatomes.

No I have gravel. So I have no plecos or cory cats. Would this help if i get some? If not just take decorations out rinse them off put back in? Even my gravel is starting to get brown?

If the tank is at least 55 gallons get a pleco, but if it isn't, include a school of cories or a colony of snails and shrimps

aqua hobbyist said:
If the tank is at least 55 gallons get a pleco, but if it isn't, include a school of cories or a colony of snails and shrimps

I'm looking at getting a bulldog pleco. And 3 or 4 cories. And increasing my schools of 5 to 7 or 8 right now I have 5 serpaes 5 x-rays 5 black skirts and 5 blood fins. And tank is a 55 with a 306 fluval. So total I will have like 35 so fish.

Back
Top Bottom