what is this on my goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echoDreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
This just appeared, not something from the tank, no idea what this is... Strange object sticking out the top fin on its body.
pn4i0y9tt

Code:
http://s16.postimg.org/lqr64youd/IMAG0114.jpg
Above is a higher resolution.

ForumRunner_20130911_122246.jpg

Wow... Yep this is it, unfortunately this goldfish is so small, I would be afraid to even try removing this...

Is there anything I can do to kill it? And how did this even get into my aquarium...

Looks like Tetra makes a product called "Parasite Guard" that says it takes out Anchor Worms. Anyone ever used such a product?

EDIT: I see another one called "General Cure" by API. Thoughts on this as well?

My computer is actually blocking the top pic and I can not see anything in the bottom one. Anchor worms are 'Y' shaped, pale grey/white in color. The 'Y' worm is an adult female laying eggs and is at the end of her lifecycle. The males are not visible to the naked eye nor are the eggs. The tetra product may or may not help- the only ingredient that is effective against the free swimming stage of this copepod is the diflubenzuron but it needs to be used for atleast 3-4wks to break the lifecycle. When its encysted or in a larval stage inside fish muscle/tissue, no med is effective. Anchor worm can live for lengthy periods of time within a fish before the males burrow their way out or females are visible to the naked eye which is why you never saw them previously. Quarantining new fish is the only way to avoid it infesting a main tank.

Cyropro (made by hikari) is a newer and less toxic insecticide than diflubenzuron that is relatively simple to use and will not affect good bacteria. Treatment will still be lengthy though and make sure the directions are followed exactly. I recommend removing the worm you see with tweezers and dabbing a bit of peroxide on the sore (if you can manage).

Back
Top Bottom