What is this on my Mopani Wood??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put a piece of Mopani wood in my 55 gal tank after leaching it for a week. I put it in on Friday night and tonight (Sunday) I noticed that there is this white foggy stuff on it. Anyone know what it is and if it's harmful to my fish? Plus, what can I do to get rid of it? I'd appreciate any help on this.

Attachments

• 2013-02-10 21.13.30.jpg
    2013-02-10 21.13.30.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 81
I had this all over the DW when I first added it to my 60g. Don't worry, they all do this. After a week or two it will go away on its own, and it's no threat to any inhabitants in the tank :)

I had this all over the DW when I first added it to my 60g. Don't worry, they all do this. After a week or two it will go away on its own, and it's no threat to any inhabitants in the tank :)

Great to know. I was worried. I only have 7 little danios and a baby Rafael catfish in there but I didn't want to lose the little guys. I'll quit worrying then. Thanks!!1:)

I had this on mine too. Wouldn't go away so I used 2mls of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% once a day for 3 days, and after a few days it went away. Of course, not sure if you can use it with fish in the tank or not.

If you do use it, make sure you turn the light and filter off for 20 mins so it can do its thing. Just put it in a syringe W/O a needle and slowly squirt it over the fungus.

I had this on mine too. Wouldn't go away so I used 2mls of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% once a day for 3 days, and after a few days it went away. Of course, not sure if you can use it with fish in the tank or not.

If you do use it, make sure you turn the light and filter off for 20 mins so it can do its thing. Just put it in a syringe W/O a needle and slowly squirt it over the fungus.

I believe hydrogen peroxide will break down to water and oxygen once it reacts with whatever you applying it to. I used a medicine dispenser for infants (found it in the baby section of the grocery store for $0.79) for the syringe. 10 mLs in 0.2 mL increments.

I'm a little nervous about using hydrogen peroxide in my tank so I think I'll watch it for a couple of weeks first to see if it goes away. If not, then I might try that. i just don't want to do anything that will make my fish sick. As long as this stuff isn't harmful to my fish I'll probably just let it run it's course.

Back
Top Bottom