What is this red stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Be got this red stuff growing on my rocks.?It looks like a plant but it's red in color.

Attachments

• image-4061450826.jpg
    image-4061450826.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 121
Nope not the dreaded red cyanobacteria slime looks just like a regular red algae it's really pretty stuff. easy to maintain it reminds me a lot of kelp you feel its slippery and rubbery like kelp. Most tangs like to eat it. Fishman

Tank is 4 months. I use rodi water. Run a skimmer and filter. I've also checked my phosphates an nitrates and they are fine. Don't know why I have hair algae :(

The hair algae is probably using up the nitrates and phosphates. I have noticed that tanks go through stages as they become established usually marked my different algae growths. Doing smaller more frequent water changes usually helps my algae problems, That red algae looks like Red Turf Algae, or Red Wiry Algae. I have a problem with that in one of my tanks because it managed to come in on a frag, it was so small it didn't see it before I put it in my tank:(

If the red turf algae isn't harmful I don't mind it. Doesn't look bad. I just hope it doesn't spread

Back
Top Bottom