What is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a six line wrase that is getting mugged by a fish that was supposed to be a splendid pseudochromis. I looked different from the day he was added to the tank but I thought his colors would lighten up once he was settled. Now he is like a shark attacking anything the wrase relentlessly. The online store I purchased the fish from I have had some problems and now I am concerned they didn;'t even send the fish I asked for. Any idea what this fish is and do you think he will calm down? Was added ~3wks ago. Thanks.

55G
65lbs LR
BHT
2 Percula Clowns
six line wrase
?splendid Pseudochromis
Coral banded shrimp
Snails/Hermits

Attachments

• sc1_1__148.jpg
    sc1_1__148.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 22
I don't know alot about pseudochromis but yours does carry alot of the same features as the splendid. Perhaps it will change as it matures. As for the behavior, I believe that is pretty typical territorial behavior for the species. In a tank that size, I would think there would be enough territory for both the dottyback and wrasse but it's apparent he doesn't see it that way. Maybe rearranging the rockwork if that's possible, may help reset boundaries.

psuedochromis-yes. splendens-no. no eye stripe
P. novaehollandiae is my best guess

Thanks for the info. I did some research myself and I think it is a variant of the Sri-lanka dottyback. I finally convinced the online site to refund my money for sending the wrong fish. He maintains that young S.P can look like this, but never produced any proof. Anyway the aggression seems improved since moving the rocks. I don't know if I am going to keep him, the colors are dark and he hides in the LR all day. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom