What Is This???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeyofb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay...I went to my LFS and purchased what I thought was a piece of rock covered with coralline. My intention was to scrape the rock in an attempt to seed my aquarium with coralline algae. After placing the "rock" in the tank, I noticed it open and close. I finally took a picture of it open. Can someone tell me what this is?

Attachments

• whatisit.jpg
    whatisit.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 64
  • whatisit2.jpg
    whatisit2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 63
Looks like oyster rock. I occasionally see it at the lfs. I had a few pieces years ago, but the oyster inside didn't live too long.

Is there anything that I can do to confirm that is oyster rock? In other words, what can I check for? If it is oyster rock, are there any positives or negatives to having this in my aquarium?

Thanks for your help with this issue. This has been bugging me for a while now. As far as I can tell, it has not moved at all. However, as you can see from the pictures, it does open and close what seems to be some type of mouth or something. When it is moved or tampered with, it closes really fast and it's slow to open again.

Again, thanks for the link. I will use it now. Hopefully, they can help me. If I have discovered a new species, I will name it exactly what you suggested....LOL

Thanks again. I haven't given up just yet. I just emailed about 30 marine biologist. Hopefully, 1 will be able to identify this little monster in my tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom