What is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wardcarrie5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This spot appeared on my silver dollar about a week ago. It looks like fungus and I have a gourami currently with fin rot. Does this look like fungus to anyone? I'm treating with Marcyn 2 and Marcyn. No other fish are sick or with fungus. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-262247198.jpg
    image-262247198.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3243139664.jpg
    image-3243139664.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 81
Hi! My knowledge of your breed of fish is limited but some more information will help others to help you better. What are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph)? Is the tank cycled? What size tank is this & how many fish? How often do you do pwcs & how much? Fin rot & fungus are opportunistic diseases that usually are indicative of poor water quality & stress. Using antibiotics may also affect your beneficial bacteria so your tank may have to re-cycle. More information will help!

This is definetly water related. I'm still cycling and have been doing water changes regularly like every other day. The ammonia level is at .25 and Nitrite .50 so it's nearing it's end. The Marcyn says it wont effect bacteria but guess we will see. Doesn't seem to be effecting this fish where the fin rot of my dwarf gourami almost killed it - seems to be recovering. I'm also using Prime.

Ok! Your fish need healthy water to recover & to keep from getting sick in the first place. Your best bet here is to start more frequent & larger pwcs (with prime). Your nitrite is dangerous and it will probably spike sky high in the near future-you really should be testing atleast once a day (preferably twice) and doing pwcs to lower the levels of ammonia & nitrite. If you do 50% pwc now, it will only lower your nitrite to .25. Then do another 50%pwc to half the .25. Dont be afraid of back to back pwcs! Do them as frequently as necessary to get your ammonia & nitrite below .25 (this should be daily) until your tank cycles. Healthy water will help your fish to recover faster! If your unsure about anything, just ask!

I have been doing 75% water changes every day and only started doing every other day as the nitrites already spiked and are coming back down.

Ok, i didnt know that! I would still work on getting your amm/nitrites bit lower than .25 for your fishes health. Hopefully, the antibiotics wont put things into a tailspin with your bacteria so really keep a close eye on your numbers. Have you tried dosing with aquarium salt in addition to the meds? That may be helpful as well. The meds really should work to treat the fin rot & possibily the fungus (which can actually be bacterial & not a true fungus) but you may have to do 2 courses of treatment along with healthy water if the 1st isnt enough. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom