What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chad36

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what this is. It grew out of lr 2 months ago and seems to grow pretty quick

Attachments

• image-2586901493.jpg
    image-2586901493.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 105
It looks quite a bit like birdsnest (Sieratapora hystrex) but the branches seem to thin and aren't pointy enough. Does it have a hard skeleton?

reefrunner69 said:
It looks quite a bit like birdsnest (Sieratapora hystrex) but the branches seem to thin and aren't pointy enough. Does it have a hard skeleton?

Appears to be birdsnest when you say grew out of liverock are you saying is wasn there then all sudden it was growing out?

Yeah, I've had this lr in my tank for about 10months. It just came out of nowhere. It's actually growing in another spot on the same lr.

Don't know if it's seratipora, though I'd be really stoked if it was, however it's very flimsy but maybe it will harden over time. Is seratipora flimsy when young? This will blow around from the powerhead. I've never had seratipora though I plan too. Lots of acros though an I know there hard no matter what size. Any other ideas?

Chad36 said:
Don't know if it's seratipora, though I'd be really stoked if it was, however it's very flimsy but maybe it will harden over time. Is seratipora flimsy when young? This will blow around from the powerhead. I've never had seratipora though I plan too. Lots of acros though an I know there hard no matter what size. Any other ideas?

Nope, it's probably some type of gorgonian.

That's what it looks like. I thought they grew in substrate though, no? It seems to be growing quite rapidly. Should I keep it, or will it become a nuisance?

Chad36 said:
That's what it looks like. I thought they grew in substrate though, no? It seems to be growing quite rapidly. Should I keep it, or will it become a nuisance?

I would keep it, it's cool, and easily fragged if need be.

I bet it is a type of sponge. It's hard to tell from the pic, but if it looks waxy or stingy it could be a sponge.

sanderson417 said:
I bet it is a type of sponge. It's hard to tell from the pic, but if it looks waxy or stingy it could be a sponge.

Looks cool looks safe

danbstrong said:
Looks cool looks safe

Think its a sinularia my buddy just sent me a pic of a green one said grows like crazy try google it im sure thats it

Back
Top Bottom