What is this?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carnifex

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed this on one of my barbs just now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393820650.932805.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393820733.125312.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393820741.801161.jpg
Like a white spot on his head. And near the tail. He also seems to have the beginning stages of fin rot. None of the other barbs or danios in the tanks have anything noticeably similar. I don't know what it is and more importantly how to treat it. Any help would be great. Thanks

Please tell us more about your aquarium:

What type of fish is afflicted?

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Looks like he picked a fight or was a Target of a fight or maybe scrapped himself when he was startled. What other fish are in the tank?

What type of fish is afflicted?
-odessa barb

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
-ammo 0, nitrItes 0, nitrAtes 0-5, pH 7.4, temp 76.2F

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
-55 gal. Been set up for 2 months and cycled for 1

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
-eheim ecco pro 2234 canister for 60 gallons. Not sure the gph but i think it's 130
Side note i've a 500gph powerhead in the tank.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
-i've got 11 odessa barbs at 1.5-2 in. 7 rose danios1.5in. 3 roseline sharks one is 4.5in and two are 2.5in

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
-Did a wc last monday(24th?) i do a 50% wc every monday because i do ei fert dosing for my plants. I don't vacuum the substrate because it's sand and flourite.

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
-The danios have been there from the start. The five male odessas have been there for three weeks. They are not new, just moved from my 10g. The 6 females have been there for two weeks. The 'sharks' have been there since friday(28?). All my fish are drip acclimated for 30mins before introduction.

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
-The only thing i've added are some terra-cotta pots last week. Everything else has been the same

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
-2 weeks ago i switched from omega one pellets to flakes, no problems. Occasionally frozen foods.

The problem fish isn't acting weird at all. Swimming with the school, eating ok. Gills look fine. The anal fin is definitely white and shredded. The tail, dorsal, pectoral, and pelvic fins seem to be unaffected as of yet. None of the others have white on them or seem to be acting odd, nor do they exhibit signs of nipping or fin rot. If anything seems to change in 8 hours when i wake up i'll note it. Thank you

Looks like he picked a fight or was a Target of a fight or maybe scrapped himself when he was startled. What other fish are in the tank?

Looks like an infection/injury to me. Is it fuzzy at all?

That's what I'm starting to think. Perhaps he scraped himself on the driftwood? It's also white near the base of the tail though, and doesn't resemble an injury. >_< This is seriously starting to stress me out lol

Back
Top Bottom