What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ranette

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found this in my tank today and am wondering 1) what the hell is it? And 2) where did I get it. At first thought it might be a micro brittle star but think it's too "fat" and it also seems to have six "legs". Any suggestions? Don't want it (them) in my tank if they are harmful.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458345172.031580.jpg

It is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch across its longest legs and about 1/4 inch wide. On the underside it seems to have a mouth.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks like a baby serpent star , I have around 8 in my tank they are reef safe but do get big , depending on the size of your tank is the key if you can keep him or not 10g or smaller I would re-home him , my biggest is 24" and my smallest is 6" ,
I have a 90g tank
Here is a pict of one of my bigger ones legs reaching for food
60069-albums13934-picture66253.jpg

they are fun to watch especially while feeding

Last edited:
Was thinking maybe some sort of starfish as well but this one seems to have 6 legs. Is that common? Or don't all starfish only have five legs?

BTW. I currently have a 40g but am moving everything to a 125g in the next few months so size shouldn't be an issue.

some have 5 some have 6 nothing to worry about in a 125 he will fit right in .
they also serve as a part of the CUC , I love when mine come out when friends are over freaks them out . I tell them it's a octopus :D

Back
Top Bottom