What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohsnapitscharity

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’m thinking BBA? If so, is it turn if I tie java fern to the the fern will eventually outcompete the BBA for nutrients. So unsightly. It must goIMG_1025.jpg

Looks like BBA to me. I don't think a java fern is going to help you much. Since it only seems to be on that driftwood, I bet you could do a peroxide dip on it. From what I've heard, BBA is better kept at bay with more frequent, larger water changes, cleaning the filter and not overfeeding.

If you use plant ferts, reduce anything that might be increasing iron.

Scrub it off with a new clean brush and water under tap water. Do a dip in peroxide water. Rinse off in old treated tank water. And if you use Prime, you can do a dip in that.

Check on your lighting schedule. Type of lights/age.

Water change schedule and increase it with volume and or frequency.

Do some research and see if you want to use Excel.

No ferts. Lights on 10-12hrs a day. Water change weekly anywhere from 50-80%. Have done a peroxide dip and scrubbed off multiple times. Lights feeding. Small pinch of food for adults. Mini baby brine shrimp cube for the fry.

I had the same issue, everything already mentioned helped but the most important was cutting the lights to 6hrs. There's still some BBA but when I do water changes I use a hard bristle toothbrush to scrub at problem spots and keep it at bay.

Back
Top Bottom