What is wrong with my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beccaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About a week ago one of my goldfish started hiding in an ornament, sitting on the bottom of the tank. His top fin has been closed to his body. He comes out to see me when I go over and always comes out for food. I just thought he'd been scared into hiding from my cat who has developed an obsession with them and plays with them through the glass. Anyway last night I did a usual 25% water change and he had a white cottony fluff on his tail and all his fins were close to his body so now thinking something more serious is wrong. The other fish seems fine. I keep a check on the levels in the tank and amonia has been 0.25 and nitrate between 10 and 20.

beccaw said:
About a week ago one of my goldfish started hiding in an ornament, sitting on the bottom of the tank. His top fin has been closed to his body. He comes out to see me when I go over and always comes out for food. I just thought he'd been scared into hiding from my cat who has developed an obsession with them and plays with them through the glass. Anyway last night I did a usual 25% water change and he had a white cottony fluff on his tail and all his fins were close to his body so now thinking something more serious is wrong. The other fish seems fine. I keep a check on the levels in the tank and amonia has been 0.25 and nitrate between 10 and 20.

Sounds like a fungal infection and don't know if it could be velvet or not. Check the link and it'll give you info on it.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Diagnostic Chart

Thank you for that link it certainly looks like it could be fungus. Not sure about velvet as it is white not yellow but fins are clamped together. Are there any particular treatments that are the best?

beccaw said:
Thank you for that link it certainly looks like it could be fungus. Are there any particular treatments that are the best?

I've used and had good luck with Maracyn for a different kind of fungus.

I'd suggest doing a bit of observation and research to make sure you know all the symptoms that are going on with this fish and possibly the other fish too. Also, daily PWC of 50% can only help IME.

Normally setting up a hospital tank is something to consider, but IMO with a fungus you'll want to treat all the fish because illnesses like this tends to spread.

EDIT: I've never seen clamped fins, but velvet was the only one listing it. Could be a reaction to the fungus, but there's others here that would have more experience with it.

If you have ammonia your tank is still cycling then right? Sorry if I missed it but what are your nitrite levels? What kind of test kit?

Also what size tank and is there only one goldfish in it? What size are your fish (minus the tail)

I have a 32 litre tank with 2 goldfish 5cm long. The tank was still cycling when I put them in 5-6 weeks ago. I got them from a friend who had lost interest and had them in a 25 litre tank which was half full which is why I got them sooner. The amonia is 0.25 and the nitrate varies between 10-20 which is better then what they were living in before. The ill one has lost all of its top fin now but when it came out earlier had its other fins open. The pet store advised api melafix so have done a water change and added some.

beccaw said:
I have a 32 litre tank with 2 goldfish 5cm long. The tank was still cycling when I put them in 5-6 weeks ago. I got them from a friend who had lost interest and had them in a 25 litre tank which was half full which is why I got them sooner. The amonia is 0.25 and the nitrate varies between 10-20 which is better then what they were living in before. The ill one has lost all of its top fin now but when it came out earlier had its other fins open. The pet store advised api melafix so have done a water change and added some.

Sounds like it's carrying some issues over from the old tank and Melafix is a good meds too. If I remember right they say no water changes during use, but that may be an issue since it sounds like they were in poor water conditions to start with. Your ammo isn't too bad but goldies produce a lot of waste so IMO, keep up on PWC 2x a week. Do you know what your nitrItes (no2) are? NitrAtes (no3) under 30-40ppm is fine and PWC will keep them in check.

Your tank is just under 9 gallons and with the goldies only being about 2 inches long you'll be OK for a short while, but they'll need a bigger tank soon enough. The general rule for goldfish is 20g for the 1st one and 10g for each additional goldie.

+1 on the rescue and keep up the good work :).

I agree with Limpet sounds like they inherited some problems from the old tank

Get us you Nitrite levels too.

I would use these forums to read about the Nitrogen cycle and read about cycling with fish.

Have just checked the levels in my tank having done a 25% water change 5 hours ago. Both ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is 5.

Have just checked the levels in my tank having done a 25% water change 5 hours ago. Both ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is 5.

IMO, your tank is i excellent condition with those numbers. I'd suggest a couple PWC each week and plan ahead to move them into a tank that will be a proper size for them. Good luck on the meds and please let us know how they're doing.

Thank you for your help. Will keep an eye on the levels. Going away Monday so will do a water change Sunday eve. We're back Friday so will do one again then. Hopefully will see an improvement in the fish soon.

Update

Well it's still alive! It's lost most of it's tail now and it's very fluffy at the base of it's tail where it meets it's body. He came out yesterday and had a swim around for about a minute then went and hid again. I was a bit concerned that he wasn't getting food so I caught him in the net earlier and gave him some food which he seemed to enjoy. Now he's sat at the bottom. I put a bit of extra food in for the other fish and he tried to swim but couldn't get very far. Going away tomorrow and worried that he's going to starve as won't be able to get to the food when my mum feeds him.

Back
Top Bottom