What is wrong with my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MileHighHitman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had the water checked (very clear water too) and all levels were normal. It is by a window but I closed the shades and have noticed zero improvement after about 2 weeks. I changed from regular light bulbs (way too hot)
to the spiral ones just before I noticed this. What is it and what can I do?

Any help would be appreciated.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/galasso22/download.jpg

Tank is about 2-3 months old. One month without fish and almost 2ish with fish.

MileHighHitman said:
I have had the water checked (very clear water too) and all levels were normal. It is by a window but I closed the shades and have noticed zero improvement after about 2 weeks. I changed from regular light bulbs (way too hot)
to the spiral ones just before I noticed this. What is it and what can I do?

Any help would be appreciated.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/galasso22/download.jpg

Tank is about 2-3 months old. One month without fish and almost 2ish with fish.

It's a normal diatom outbreak at the end of your cycle. It's normal in new tanks. They will go away after a while. You can try the blackout tech (just turn off your lights for a day or two). They use silicone to make their outer casing. Once that spice is used up they should go away on their own. It's normal though annoying just the same.

Hahaha my iPod auto corrected. They use silica for their outer casing not silicone!

It's a normal diatom outbreak at the end of your cycle. It's normal in new tanks. They will go away after a while. You can try the blackout tech (just turn off your lights for a day or two). They use silicone to make their outer casing. Once that spice is used up they should go away on their own. It's normal though annoying just the same.

I appreciate the reply. Wow, I would have never thought anything like that was normal. I thought it was some orange/brownish algae. Do I even bother to clean it or just leave it? I have tried keeping the lights off for a couple days. :(

Also, the petSmart guy said not to bother using the hand vac when I change water. He said to just let the tank have its own untouched environment but change 25% of the water each couple weeks. Thoughts?

Ooooh looks like a really bad case of diatoms. You can clean it due to aesthetic reasons, but if you leave it doesn't do any harm besides the unpleasant view.

Turning the lights off won't really do much.

I would vacuum based off of how much waste there is, but usually once a week. This is also of course the weekly 50% water change.

Back
Top Bottom