What is wrong with that water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Vampiregirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's just cloudy!!!

The story: I have a 20gal tank, cycled with fish, it's planted. Parameters: ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, pH 7.6. I had an AC 30 filter and just replaced it with AC 50, but I kept all media from my old filter. I tested the water after 24 hours with the new filter and it's good. The filter media are sponge, then Seachem purigen and Biomax on top. Light is Nova Extreme t5 HO 6700K and a pink plant bulb, 24W each.

When I look at the front of the tank, it looks whitish cloudy like a bacterial bloom. From the sides and top it seems yellowish. I looked at some tank water in a clear glass placed on a sheet of white paper, and looks clear. In a white cup it looks yellowish.

I tried Seachem Clarity and it did nothing. I don't know what to do!

I used to have the carbon insert in the filter until it started to fall apart about 1-2 weeks ago and I decided to not buy a new one because I've read carbon can absorb the ferts I'm adding for my plants. Should I put it?

Soon i wont be able to see my fish in there! Please help!!!

Here's a picture. I apologize for the quality, I tried to get it in a way that would show some cloudiness...

Attachments

• image-271165521.jpg
    image-271165521.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 119
I had the exact same problem with my tank too. The more additives you put in the harder it will be to actually figure put what is really going on. The bacteria are still trying to establish themselves. I would leave it alone and if it is still cloudy you can use a Phosban 150 filled with carbon using filter floss on top. Your water will be clear as a bell. A Phosban 150 can be filled to capacity with carbon using filter floss at the top. Any questions let me know. Don't throw chemicals at it, the best thing to do is add less and figure out the issue. If all else fails go to Phosban 150 and I'll still steer you right

Amicus, thanks for your input. I had my doubts about the Clarity. The only chemicals I use are Prime at each water change and ferts for the plants (Seachem brand).
I do have a piece of wood which i got from Aquariumplants.com Could it be causing my trouble?

It could be as it depends on what kind if wood it is. If plain old drift wood then it is possible depending in if you saturated it in the tank. All woods will release something like tannins for example. There are only a few types of afican root woods the do not. My mopani was bought weeks ago and after boiling it it was still cloudy for a while and still discolored. I hope this helps, if not then feel free to fire off more questions. Could be a mini cycle too.

1Vampiregirl said:
It's just cloudy!!!

The story: I have a 20gal tank, cycled with fish, it's planted. Parameters: ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, pH 7.6. I had an AC 30 filter and just replaced it with AC 50, but I kept all media from my old filter. I tested the water after 24 hours with the new filter and it's good. The filter media are sponge, then Seachem purigen and Biomax on top. Light is Nova Extreme t5 HO 6700K and a pink plant bulb, 24W each.

When I look at the front of the tank, it looks whitish cloudy like a bacterial bloom. From the sides and top it seems yellowish. I looked at some tank water in a clear glass placed on a sheet of white paper, and looks clear. In a white cup it looks yellowish.

I tried Seachem Clarity and it did nothing. I don't know what to do!

I used to have the carbon insert in the filter until it started to fall apart about 1-2 weeks ago and I decided to not buy a new one because I've read carbon can absorb the ferts I'm adding for my plants. Should I put it?

Soon i wont be able to see my fish in there! Please help!!!

Chances are you're having a bacteria bloom. Daily 25-50% water changes will clear it up. There's always a possiblity it's smoething else, but IMHO it's bloom. Carbon or water clarity stuff won't work to remove a bloom.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

If your tank is next to a window, looks like it is, then that will definitely contribute to a bloom even if a tank is receiving light from across a rom then that could be enough. Daily water changes of 20% is enough for the first week. After that then maybe every 3 days. Also try to take one or two pieces of decorations out and scrub them with under cool water with soap free brush. Even though it sounds like a bloom the bacteria is still beneficial so you do not want to eliminate from your tank. If you do gravel washing, wash maybe 1/4 of bottom once per week this is also done so a large quantity of bacteria is removed. Be careful as the washings are primarily done for nitrate control. Hope this helps.

Amicus said:
If your tank is next to a window, looks like it is, then that will definitely contribute to a bloom even if a tank is receiving light from across a rom then that could be enough. Daily water changes of 20% is enough for the first week. After that then maybe every 3 days. Also try to take one or two pieces of decorations out and scrub them with under cool water with soap free brush. Even though it sounds like a bloom the bacteria is still beneficial so you do not want to eliminate from your tank. If you do gravel washing, wash maybe 1/4 of bottom once per week this is also done so a large quantity of bacteria is removed. Be careful as the washings are primarily done for nitrate control. Hope this helps.

I had always been told a bacteria bloom happens when there's more bacteria in the tank than there are places for them to live/settle.

What exactly causes it then?

I like the suggestion of scrubbing decorations to clean off old bacteria.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Amicus said:

If your tank is next to a window, looks like it is, then that will definitely contribute to a bloom even if a tank is receiving light from across a rom then that could be enough. Daily water changes of 20% is enough for the first week. After that then maybe every 3 days. Also try to take one or two pieces of decorations out and scrub them with under cool water with soap free brush. Even though it sounds like a bloom the bacteria is still beneficial so you do not want to eliminate from your tank. If you do gravel washing, wash maybe 1/4 of bottom once per week this is also done so a large quantity of bacteria is not removed. Be careful as the washings are primarily done for nitrate control. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

There are many reason for a bloom. A lack of places is just an effect of the cause. Too much light. Food, even though rotting food jump starts the nitrogen cycle there are different types of bacteria that bloom. The point is to gradually reduce their numbers, if possible, and eliminate the cause. There are a few ways they get started. Kind of like putting pesticide on a lawn to control fungus, you will never eliminate it, all you can to is keep it in check. With plants, for example check the root structure at the Surface and if possible just below the surface. Use your best judgment to determine their condition. Things like this, get to know what makes bacteria and fungus tick. :)

I know you check your water chemistry but there are beneficial bacteria that live on the filter media so changing it too often is not recommended. If changed too often then a mini cycle may have started. The cloudiness could be bacteria reacting to that. Leave the filter meadow alone for a while and see if it calms down and cycles out. I like to add as little additives as possible, best to treat cause directly. Hope all has helped!

Amicus said:
It could be as it depends on what kind if wood it is. If plain old drift wood then it is possible depending in if you saturated it in the tank. All woods will release something like tannins for example. There are only a few types of afican root woods the do not. My mopani was bought weeks ago and after boiling it it was still cloudy for a while and still discolored. I hope this helps, if not then feel free to fire off more questions. Could be a mini cycle too.

I don't know what kind of wood I have. I bought it from Aquariumplants.com with some dwarf baby tears growing on it already. I took them out after all because I didn't like them there. It doesn't look like a root, more like a solid piece cleaned of all bark. I've read about boiling and soaking the wood, but this one came with plants already rooted on it, so I let it be.

With regard to the filter media, I haven't changed it at all with the exception of the carbon bag as it simply fell apart. Other than that I have everything in there that I started with 3 months ago.

You're right, my tank is next to a window but I always keep the blinds closed. I was hoping that would work because I really don't have any spot at home far enough from all the windows.

Many thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom