What is your favorite fish to mix peacefully with corries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! Heres the info on why im asking, but feel free to skip to the next paragraph for the actual question if you like. Ive had my 20 gallon planted tank up for a while now and am now finally getting to the end of stocking. I started with getting the groups of Rummynose Tetras and now currently have 10, and just got the last few Panda corries putting my number currently at 9. I also have a male guppy in there as well. I love both fish species and was waiting to set up a tank for them, but the issues im having is that i am worried the tetras are nipping the pandas and the first group hasnt come out really at all (the newest group of them was only added last night so we will see if they do any better). Ive seen the tetras nip at them although its not a determined chase on sight thing. Ive also noticed both swim on the bottom of the tank so i thought an upper level fish might help them be less crowded. I wanted the tank mostly for the corries, so if i unfortunately have to let go of the rummies then i will. It could very well be that they need to settle in more and they dont like the light. But since ive seen them nip at a few corries and one that hides the most is currently without much of a tail im thinking of switching things to a less nippy variety. (the others are fine from what i can see)

The tank is a 20 gallon long 30x12x12", i have low light plants and pool filter sand for substrate. As the plants continue to grow more i hope to have a pretty dense plant scape. I am looking more specifically for an upper level fish, but any fish youve thought or found to blend well with corries let me know. Even if it wouldnt work in my tank i never mind checking out different fish! I keep the water at 75* for the corries. I was thinking bloodfin tetras look nice, but do all tetras nip? Maybe i could go with guppies, but idk about having an overflowing guppy fry tank since i want to keep perimeters good for the corries. I find a larger group of schoolers are nice to watch, and colour of course never hurt anybody!

Just a reply on nipping Tetras - I have harlequins (I know their not Tetras), black neons, diamond head neons, cardinals, rummy nose, lemon, glowlights and serpaes. Species are kept in groups min of 6 max of 15. Never had a problem with any of them nipping and they just ignore the Corys.
The tank is really well planted which I think helps a lot.
I did try silver tips, they didn't nip but we're so dammed lively they upset the tranquility of the tank - they they had to go.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Khuli loaches and cory's are like ice cream and hot fudge xD wonderful mix

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Thanks guys! Are khuli loaches suitable for a tank this small? I had always thought these kind of fish always got too big for smaller tanks so I guess I never looked into them. Could someone give me some quick info on these guys? They are definitely different looking!

And hopefully I don't need to get rid of the tetras, but it was a thought. I thought they were usually a good mix so maybe it's just that group wasn't the healthiest after shipping. The new group of corries has been out today so that's already an improvement over the last. Maybe they'll bring the others out more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I keep groups of 6 kuhlis in a couple 10g tanks, no issues. Definitely not upper level fish though!

Two of my favorite peaceful, colorful schoolers are green neons and B. maculatus.

I'd go with either licorice, croaking or sparkling gouramis. Neat little fish that love plants and when safe and well cared for throw some awesome colors.

I'd get the Kuhlis as well. They have been in my top 5 since I was five!

You guys say the loaches are good with corries? The main reason I was thinking upper level fish was so I wouldn't have to worry much about them being outcompeted or bullied. Do they have similar diets and would one take up the majority of the food?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My wife and I (user Missgurnus who replied before) have kept kuhlis and corydoras together in a 29 gallon which has the same footprint as a 20 gallon. Although with 9 it might be a bit much... As long as you feed plenty of sinking stuff it shouldn't be an issue IMO.

My wife and I (user Missgurnus who replied before) have kept kuhlis and corydoras together in a 29 gallon which has the same footprint as a 20 gallon. Although with 9 it might be a bit much... As long as you feed plenty of sinking stuff it shouldn't be an issue IMO.

Hmm i definately need to do some research on these guys!they look pretty interesting

They are SUPER silly fish. Some day you'll look at them and just wonder what he was thinking and why he's draped over the thermometer (true story)

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

They are SUPER silly fish. Some day you'll look at them and just wonder what he was thinking and why he's draped over the thermometer (true story)

Scared the heck out of me first time I saw this :lol:

img_3321173_0_dfb6bab1fea43c4785d5f57b81ab182e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom