What it the best diet for my Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiveSix

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Neons are doing well. I have decided to keep the group at 35 in my 55g. They are all doing well. They seem to have bright colors and quite healthy, I have been feeding them TetraMin Tropical Crisps and about 1/8 of a Hikari Sinking Wafers so My Corydoras Habrosus can have some food too. The Neons love both the wafers and Flakes and seem to be responding well. What I want to know is if I should add them a treat once a week and I'm not sure where to go with it. What would you recommend? Maybe Tubifex, freez dried brine or maybe bloodworms. Do you think that's a good idea? Maybe some frozen food? I just want them to be as happy as possible and maybe bring out some more color. Should I stick with what they've been eating or what?

Thanks in advance

My neons are good with flakes and sometimes a few brine shrimp - they love those. I even finely cut up some raw shrimp into micro-pieces. It has no fat and doesnt dirty the water, like brine shrimp do.

I have a mix of neons an gold tetras - the gold ones are beautiful !

YOU ALSO MIGHT TRY FROZEN PEAS EVERY NOW AND THEN MY NEONS AS WELL AS ALL OF MY OTHER FISH LOVE THEM, AND THEY ARE GOOD FOR DIGESTION. iF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEED THEM YOU CAN PM ME AND I WILL TELL YOU.

If possible, I'd suggest frozen bloodworms (over freeze-tried worms), simply because they retain a little more nutritional value. If you do feed freeze-dried stuff, it is better on their digestion if you soak it for a few minutes in a small dish of tank water (to soften it up and re-hydrate it) before feeding. But honestly, anything you can do for a little variation is good.

Heck, even if you are limited to nothing more than flake food, you could always buy a small container of an all-veggie flake (spirulina flake food) and a small container of a meatier flake (brine shrimp flakes), and mix those in once in a while. Say, use your regular "balanced" flake food every other day, and then on the off days alternate between the spirulina flakes and the brine shrimp flakes.

if I got anything frozen, I'd take a small piece or cube melt it in tank water and strain it. Then feed a bit and toss out any extra. I don't want all that cube juice giving me more algae than I need anyway. :) Bloodworms it is I guess. I'm afraid the brine might be too big for them anyway. After researching tubifex that is out of the question since most don't like it and anything live or frozen could have that parasite.

I just thought of an Idea that might be good. Not sure so I'll ask. I have those small pond snails in the tank and they are multiplying. I was thinking of maybe taking 3 or 4 small ones and crushing the shell. Would my Tetras like them and eat them? Are they healthy?

That would be a perfectly fine snack. Most fish enjoy eating snails once they've been crushed so that the fish can get at them.

Back
Top Bottom