What Killed My Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was watching a movie this morning and out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of my Gouramis picking on one of the Pristellas. I tapped the glass to break it up, and I noticed the Pristella was having a hard time swimming. I kept an eye on him to see if he was hurt, or if it was something else. It turns out he looked down right scrawny compared to the others (like one of those starving kids in Africa). I ended up euthanizing when I saw he wouldn't take any food and didn't think anything else of it. Then tonight I was watching them, and one of my Neons was pretty scrawny as well. I watched him for a while, and though he was swimming fine, he was breathing pretty hard. I fed everyone a little again just to see if he would eat, and I noticed he would swim to the flakes, but wouldn't eat any. I couldn't see any deformities or other markings to let me know what was up, so I ended up euthanizing him as well. I checked all the others carefully, and they all seem fine, and there are none unaccounted for. Best thing I could come up with was perhaps a parasite, but I wanted to see what you all thought before I go get some meds tomorrow. Should I get Maracyn 2? Something else? Also, with my stock (in profile) I know I can't do a full dose of aquarium salt, but would a very slightly brackish solution work to ward off any future diseases? or would a little bit not really have any benefit? (I'm also starting a switch to live plants, but most of them are in a QT tank to ensure no snails. Would even a slightly brackish tank keep them from growing?)

The basics: Tank is cycled. 73 degrees. I do a 50-60% PWC every 5-7 days, just did one Tuesday night. I use Prime every time. Tested with the API MTK: Ammo 0, Ites 0, Ates ~5. Haven't added anything since some Ricca 2 weeks ago, no fish in over a month.

Edit: Probably doesn't matter, but I've also done a capfull of Flourish with the last 3 PWC's.

Edit: typo- the tank is actually at 76 degrees, not 73

Last edited:
I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry. I can't offer any resaon why they are dying though. Sorry :(

Huh maybe there is a parasite going around? I think when that happens they stop eating. Google about that but honestly no idea :( sorry for your loss

Super_Blueberry said:
Shoot, missed that typo. It's actually 76 degrees, but I'll bump it up a couple.

If it's low maybe the cold made the constipated/bloat so they stopped eating

I doubt it's the issue, but this past weekend one of my platies was dropping fry unexpectedly, and I know they were all eaten, but I actually saw one become lunch to a neon. No idea if it was the same neon, and mom platy is just fine, but is there a chance her fry could have passed something on?

corinne118s said:
If it's low maybe the cold made the constipated/bloat so they stopped eating

They definitely didn't look bloated. Compared to the others, they both looked like the fish version of the starving kids in Africa.

Super_Blueberry said:
They definitely didn't look bloated. Compared to the others, they both looked like the fish version of the starving kids in Africa.

Ok.. Well there are plenty of starving kids in the world not just Africa but my vote is still parasite don't know how to treat rhough

Just a suggestion, i would try treating with prazipro first before trying heavier-duty meds. Its an easy & safe med to use & it wont hurt your bb, shrimp, snails or anything else in the tank. If this doesnt help, we can consider other meds.

Well I checked petco and they had absolutely nothing to treat parasites. The only other store that was open was wal mart. They had that parasite clear that has both prazi and metro as suggested. Did the first dose tonight. On the directions it says to repeat twice, keeping 48 hours and a pwc between doses. I'm curious how accurate anyone here thinks that is. (like with Ich, keep dosing long after the last spot disappears opposed to stopping at that point like the bottle says). A guppy looks scrawny tonight, and a black Molly is lathargic, but 'looks' fine otherwise. At least I'll be able to tell if this is working....

Any other advise is always welcome

Give it a try & see how it works for you- you can always repeat the course of treatment if necessary.

I am also thinking a parasite is the likely cause. Unfortunately, they can be rather hard to treat. One option besides the things that have been suggested: try treating their food with garlic. Garlic Guard is a product you can soak the food in, or you can google a home recipe. Garlic helps stimulate their appetite and can help them stay healthier while you are trying to get rid of the parasite. If you have a qt, I suggest removing any fish showing symptoms.

absolutangel04 said:
I am also thinking a parasite is the likely cause. Unfortunately, they can be rather hard to treat. One option besides the things that have been suggested: try treating their food with garlic. Garlic Guard is a product you can soak the food in, or you can google a home recipe. Garlic helps stimulate their appetite and can help them stay healthier while you are trying to get rid of the parasite. If you have a qt, I suggest removing any fish showing symptoms.

The NLS flakes and pellets I'm feeding them have garlic in them. Is that enough?

I'm hopeful this morning. The mollies were swimming this morning, and though the questionable guppy was sitting on the gravel when I came to feed them, he at least was eating something. I also saw this spot on my pleco, which is the first visible sign of anything in the tank. Its just an opaque spot, kinda looks like a fungal spot??? He is acting normally, swimming around as if nothing is wrong, so at this point I'm not concerned. I am hoping that someone here will recognize the spot and help figure out what I have.

As always any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• image-3412885226.jpg
    image-3412885226.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom