What kind of algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 125 mix reef. Never had algae problem before. Couple months ago I add 2 Tangs to my tank and instead every other day i feed my fishes every day. I think thats the problem. Anyway do you have any idea what kind of algae is this? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0218.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 129
It's a type of hair algae and I have it in my mixed reef too now. What lights are you running? I have cut back on feeding and dialed down the white and reds on my Radions. It seems to be not getting worse for sure, and where I scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush is looking good. Still have more to go, but I really don't want to pick all my rock apart, as it took me forever to scape it. I did notice, and maybe you will too, that is only growing in the higher light areas, which tipped me off that is was the lights and not a flow issue. What are your trates and phosphates testing at?

Good luck

It almost looks like you've got a little bit of 2 algaes diatoms and bryopsis. I would say over feeding is the issue. Do you run any phosphates removers like phosguard, chemi pure elite, or GFO?

Over feeding was the issue. You were right. Over last 4 weeks I did 3-45gal. Water changes. Scraped algae of some rocks, the worst ones I removed from tank. Went back to my old feeding schedule every other day. How I know it was over feeding? For last 5 years my Nitrate were 0, and Phosfate too. When I measured them after posting. Nitrate-40, Phosfate- 0.03. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom