What kind of algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daubentonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this algae growing all over my substrate (eco-complete). I can pull it out fairly easily, but it grows back very quickly. does anyone know what kind of algae it is and how I can treat/prevent it? It's growing in my 60 gallon planted with diy CO2 and two T5 HO bulbs.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 03, 3 40 22 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 03, 3 40 22 PM.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 110
To me, it looks like "slime algae". I had this in my tank once and it seemed to come right back, and even worse, within a week of cleaning it.

From the research I did, I was told the only way to get rid of it is to "starve" the tank. So, I first cleaned the tank well, then I covered the tank with a thick blanket, turned the lights off, and didn't feed or even peak in for 4 days (nearly killed me not to check on things). I DID leave the filter and air stone going.

After 4 days of no light and no food, everything was fine. All the fish were alive and plants were okay. The algae hasn't returned, and it's been several months.

Thanks, I'll try this! Should remove my diy CO2 while the tank is balcked out?

Sorry to bring this post back, but I did the black out and the algae got a lot better, but was not completely gone. The algae has come back, and I can't figure out what's causing it. Any Ideas?

How long your lights on? Ferts? Glut?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Post your tank specifics...size, lighting, fert schedule, CO2, plants, etc. Probably an imbalance of one of those. Hopefully we can get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

60 gallon with a fluval 306 filter, two T5HO bulbs on for 10 hours, diy co2 (2 2liter soda bottles) and occasionally dosing Seachem Flourish.
Flora:
-Dwarf Sag
-Rotala Rotundifolia
-Ludwigia Repens
-Tiger lotus
-Money wort

Fauna:
-1 Ropefish
-4 Banded Rainbows
-3 SAE's

First thing you might want to do is reduce the photoperiod to 6-7 hours and be consistent with the flourish comprehensive. Those T5 HOs put out a lot of light and need adequate ferts and co2 to keep things in balance.

First thing you might want to do is reduce the photoperiod to 6-7 hours and be consistent with the flourish comprehensive. Those T5 HOs put out a lot of light and need adequate ferts and co2 to keep things in balance.

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would recommend doing 4 hours on in the am 4 hours off, and then 4 hours on again. This can be achieved with a cheap timer. I've done this with all my tanks and the plants really seem to love it, and I don't get algae problems!

That appears to be Rhizoclonium algae. It can be caused from poor maintenance, low CO2 levels, too low flow/current, and even low nutrients. Cut lighting down to 6 hours daily. Check nitrate and phosphate levels. Do a 50% WC and keep up on weekly WC's. Add more current into the tank by using a small nano powerhead or two. DIY CO2 is not effective in a 60g tank and would suggest upgrading to pressurized CO2 or using a liquid carbon daily. You also need to look into dosing dry ferts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom