What kind of algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im not sure if its coraline or cyano ? Stuff keeps popping up. Also are their good types of red algae other than coraline? Also ive noticed when the lights go out some of my rock glow?

Attachments

• DSC02357.jpg
    DSC02357.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02362.jpg
    DSC02362.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02360.jpg
    DSC02360.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02364.jpg
    DSC02364.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 119
Is it hard and not easily removed? Then its coraline. If it slimy and comes off in sheets it's probably cyano.

when i take a tooth brush it comes off glass, but dose not really come off the rocks when i brush them. The green color in the last pic comes off the rocks... so im not sure. The yellow however dose not

Doesn't look like your typical scaling coraline. It usually starts in one spot and spreads. It's probably cyano if it's easily removable.

That's why I'm worried also I might just pick up some chemiclean and see what happens. Do I really need to buy an airstone to use it? Also is cyano ever that yellow color?

don't let it bother you if you use a turkey baster blow off your rocks every other day
the cayno will decrease over time as Coraline forms underneath it and with a good clean up crew your cayno will disappear
this is cayno I've had red , green , yellowish brown on the rock to the left of my flowerpot as the cayno dies off Coraline will form looking like this second pict
once the cayno settles and coraline forms the rock really shows there colors ,

I really dont know where they are coming from.. I feed my puffer a single meal worm every day and give a few flakes of food to my damsel every other day... I use ro water so im not sure... maybe its just because my tank is new? As for my cleanup crew I have a pretty big hermit, 2 turbos, and a sand sifting star.( I know they can be bad Ive already looked into this.. but he rarely goes into the sand.) Should I add anything else to help clean up? I cant add shrimp just to add because my puffer eats them. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom