What kind of algea is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell what type of algae this is (See pic below)? It's a light green color, not slimy or hairy and does not seem to come off of the rock by scrubbing. It started a bit here and there and now it seems to be spreading a bit more around the tank.

I do not use RO water (I know - bad thing) but is next on the budget since LFS is about 10 miles from where I live. I do use water conditioner when I change to remove as much bad stuff as possible.

Latest Test Results:

• salt = 1.024
  • ph = 8.3
  • amm/nitrite = 0
  • nitrate = ~5-10 - getting ready to do a water change
Here's are my tank specs

• 60 gallon tank was started in end of November and finished cycling beginning of January
  • Marineland Emperor 400 BIO-Wheel Powerfilter
  • Octopus Reef BH1000 protein skimmer
  • Small hang on custom refugium with sand, macro algea, live rock rubble made from an old cyclone protein skimmer. T8 18" full spectral bulb on for about 8 hours a night (opposite the main tank lighting)
  • 24 watt UV sterilizer
  • Solarmax HO T5 lighting system - 54 Watt X 2 - white 10k, blue actinic - on a timer for ~7 hours a day
  • 2 powerheads in tank on opposite sides
Livestock:

• Yellow Tail Damsel
  • Yellow Prawn Goby
  • Clown Fish
  • Foxface - One Spot
  • Six Line Wrasse
  • Various Snails
  • Emerald Crabs
  • Arrowhead Crab
  • Various Hermit Crabs
  • Banded Coral Shrimp
  • Sand Sifting Sea Star
  • Sleeper Gold Head Goby
  • Feather Duster
  • Court Jester Goby
  • Small Conch
  • Sand Dollar
  • Green Polyp Leather
  • Feather Duster

49640-albums2861-picture35978.jpg

Green coralline? I've seen pink and red and that is supposed to be a sign of good water quality. Is this good?

No I dont think thats what it is. It starts pinkish purple and stays that color. That just looks like some kinda alge. Is it slimy?

Not that i'm 100% sure it is green coralline( but could be,and does appear to look a lot like it) ,,green is a color it can grow and usually has a lime green color ,,..Coralline isn't just pinkish purple ,it does grow in greens and reds as well

Not slimy at all. Almost like its painted. The picture does appear darker green than it really is.

If you can't scrape it off the it's probably coralline. I have green, red, pink and purple coralline in my tanks. :)

Cool - Any idea of what determines which color grows? I've put live rock in the tank that already had red/pink on it. And I have only seen specs of the red/pink on other rock. The rock that now has the green was base rock - not live when I put it in the tank. That one has quite a bit.

Someone at a LFS had suggested adding calcium and magnesium to turn it to the reddish color. Anyone heard of that?

If you can't scrape it off the it's probably coralline. I have green, red, pink and purple coralline in my tanks. :)

YEP, although that is bright for corrailline it can be many colors. If its stuck on like super glue, thats a pretty good sign.

I'd fast track that RODI unit so it doesn't turn into a nuisance algae soon though!

I'm having the same issue myself! I was all worried, but it sounds like it might be a good thing. I hope so for you....and me!

image-2662483966.jpg

I
image-3883778553.jpg

Coralline just needs some light and the elements that are in your salt mix, no need to dose to get any. :)

As long as you have SOME coralline in the tank it will spread without a doubt, just needs time. If you have zero though in your tank you have to introduce it first in order to get more of it.

Back
Top Bottom