What kind of beginner centerpiece plant should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sublimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20 gallon long, freshwater, PFS substrate

I have no experience with aquatic plants other than a bit of java moss because it's relatively easy to grow. But I'd like to install one that will fan out enough to take up a good chunk of space on one side of my tank. I've looked at java ferns but they're a bit thin and I've heard amazon swords will outgrow my tank. Are there any other easy plants out there that I can try that fit this criteria?

Good Beginner Plant

20 gallon long, freshwater, PFS substrate

I have no experience with aquatic plants other than a bit of java moss because it's relatively easy to grow. But I'd like to install one that will fan out enough to take up a good chunk of space on one side of my tank. I've looked at java ferns but they're a bit thin and I've heard amazon swords will outgrow my tank. Are there any other easy plants out there that I can try that fit this criteria?

Hello Sub...

The best beginner plant that will get a bit on the tall side is Anubias nangi. The leaves are nice and large and the plant will grow in lighting from subdued to strong. I keep it in some of my larger tanks and float Brazilian Water weed over it and it grows even in shade. Attached is a pic. This plant is in a 45 G tall tank and is about 8 inches tall.

B

Attachments

• WP_20130405_001.jpg
    WP_20130405_001.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 143
There are many varieties of "Amazon" sword plants. I have a large Ozelot Sword hybrid called Red Flame and it is my large centerpiece. Around and in front of it are the smaller, Echinodurus parviflorus. They will grow good in medium light and are a pretty medium green color. Give them root tabs and some liquid CO2 and they should be happy. There are swords for about anything you want to do. Go to tropica.com or extraplant.com and browse their plant profiles. Enjoy, OS.

These are good suggestions from what I've seen! Will I need an accompanying substrate such as topsoil or will the PFS work just fine? As yall can tell I'm new to this and in fact know very little about using CO2

You're at the best place on the internet for geting info, help & advice. Swords will grow just fine in gravel. sand or plant substrate. They are areroot feeders and will need root tabs. For extra CO2 you can just use liquid CO2 ie. Excel or API CO2 Booster on swords.
OS.

Your Substrate Question

These are good suggestions from what I've seen! Will I need an accompanying substrate such as topsoil or will the PFS work just fine? As yall can tell I'm new to this and in fact know very little about using CO2

Hello again Sub...

You don't need special substrate. I've used the standard pea gravel from the pet store for years. Most of the plants I keep don't need to be planted, just attached to something like a piece of lava rock or driftwood. I also float stem plants like Anacharis and Pennywort and mosses are nice too. They don't require planting either. That way, the gravel isn't disturbed and the tank water stays nice and clear.

B

A crypt Wendtii green, red, or bronze will do fine in low light and given time they do grow quite good sized. Right now my biggest is about 12" tall with about a 14" spread. All you need is to put a root tab in the substrate by it's roots every 3 months or so.

Java ferns have always done well for me. They require minimal care, but appreciate the benefits or fertilizers and co2 treatments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom