What Kind Of Bulbs Do I Need For A Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Breath

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a used coralife light the other day off a guy and he used it for saltwater so the bulbs that are in it are50-50 one of the 50s being actinic the are 55watts PC's Is this ok for a planted tank or do I have to get something different What should I get in the way of bulbs?
Thanks

You need bulbs in the 5000k-10,000k range. A good choice is either 6500k, 6700k or 8800k for that unit. The 50/50 bulbs are not ideal for planted tanks. Take a minute and read the sticky post in this forum and then read my FAQ.

and when buying bulbs, you need to get the proper pin configuration. I believe coralife's are 65watts, straight pin.

I just checked the bulbs and they are actually 65 watts they are also 2 pin straight ( thanks Malkore). I read your article Rex Great article also went to your web I may get the GE9325K bulbs you talk about on your web. Do you know off hand if these come in the size I need In the mean time I will try searching the web for them. Do you know of any places in Canada that carry these I'm sure I'll track them down but if you know off hand it would save me abit of time
thanks again for your help guys

the GE 9325's only come as 55/65watt straight pin PC's. They can also be hard to find, and due to that, can be a little expensive.
SOmeone here has a link to the atlanta lighting company which sells them for about $19.

Back
Top Bottom