What kind of filter is this!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found this in a bag of freebies I was given for my tanks - what kind of filter is this and how does it work??

Attachments

• image-1323745655.jpg
    image-1323745655.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 99
Hah! That's an air driven corner filter. Air is pumped into the narrow pipe at the top of the filter. As it escapes upward into the big pipe, it draws water with it causing new water (and debris) to be drawn into the filter. There is passes through filter floss for mechanical filtration and through activated carbon for a chemical filter. Popular decades ago.

I think I had everything air driven back then - internal filter, ugf, hob, bubble clam - all running off air pumps and 6 kilometres of tubing :)

At least my husband can't complain - he is always up me for the amount of power my tanks use at the moment... While we are at it is there anyway to make 3 filters run off the one plug??

At least my husband can't complain - he is always up me for the amount of power my tanks use at the moment... While we are at it is there anyway to make 3 filters run off the one plug??

If you mean a power plug, then you can buy adapters or powerboards, that split one outlet into many?

I am running a power board - it's hard for me to describe what I'm after (new to fish keeping) but one filter basically to running a few tanks somehow

If that would work!! - anything to cut down the amount of power I'm having to run

It would just be an air pump powerful enough, t valves, 4 or 3 way joiners and tubing.

But it could have problems when cleaning. Also I don't know the power useage is that great for say a small hob?

I always thought the lights chewed up power and went for LEDs.

Edit: the problem may be on cleaning / changing media that you disturb/lose your good bacteria out of it.

Last edited:
It would just be an air pump powerful enough, t valves, 4 or 3 way joiners and tubing. But it could have problems when cleaning. Also I don't know the power useage is that great for say a small hob? I always thought the lights chewed up power and went for LEDs. Edit: the problem may be on cleaning / changing media that you disturb/lose your good bacteria out of it.

Thank you so much for your help!! It's nothing that needs to be done immediately so I'll have a think about it all...

I'm learning that there are many many MANY ways you can go with tanks, filtration and everything!!

Thank you so much for your help!! It's nothing that needs to be done immediately so I'll have a think about it all...

I'm learning that there are many many MANY ways you can go with tanks, filtration and everything!!

Heaps :) and I tend to experiment too much.

It should be possible to use better media in a air driven filter these days rather than the old carbon and filter floss. Just thinking out loud on redesigning a better mouse trap but a combination of foam media and ceramic noodles would last a long time.

Heaps :) and I tend to experiment too much. It should be possible to use better media in a air driven filter these days rather than the old carbon and filter floss. Just thinking out loud on redesigning a better mouse trap but a combination of foam media and ceramic noodles would last a long time.

Ceramic noodles??? Do explain ;p

Ceramic noodles??? Do explain ;p

They are basically porous rock or ceramic that provide a large surface for bacteria to grow on - biological filtration mainly. The noodles are like a thick-walled cyclinder (hole through the middle). Lately I've been using these. Although bacteria will grow anywhere the idea is these (and others of the same class) have a large surface area and can house a lot of bacteria.

http://store.cityfarmers.com.au/aqua-one-bionood-ceramic-noodles-600g.html

They often come with a bag. So one idea would be foam (for mechanical filtration) and a bag of ceramic noodles. At cleaning time the bag of noodles could be lifted out and left in tank, foam is cleaned and put filter back together. There is probably lots of ways to do it. I wouldn't bother with carbon or filter floss then.

Back
Top Bottom