what kind of fish is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtysouth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was caught in a local river in Miami, FL and doesn't look to be native. there are lots of these.....what is it. I tried to locate it myself online with no luck at all.

Attachments

• PICT1578.jpg
    PICT1578.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT1579.jpg
    PICT1579.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62
interesting fish... first thing that caught my eye was the build of its face... it looks alot like some of the african cichlids just by the way the nose leads up to the body... hmmm

I thought it looked like a cichlid too, but then last night I looked up cichlids and the only ones I could find that looked like these had bumps on their heads...They had the black spots though.

btw, is that a bass i see in the first picture in the top left corner, just the tail?
yep thats my 10 inch peacock. all my fish are local lake in maimi, fl wild caught. 4 bluegills, 4 of these that I don't know what they are , 1 tilapia mariae 2 mayan cichlids and 2 wild plecos. largemouth on the way!

FWC - Freshwater Fish Identification Yellow Bullhead

This is all the freshwater fish of florida. I looked through all and found nothing. In my area we have river specific ciclids (guadalupe ciclid). maybe that is what it is (river specific fish).
Oh yes I have been to that site many times. But what do you mean by river specific? Could be that this is from the belair canal system that leads to biscayne bay directly...salt water? Actually this one is from the river and not my lake....

Here is a pic of the whole tank so mfdrookie516 can see my bass.....

Attachments

• PICT1585.jpg
    PICT1585.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 75
Well, looking at that website that Bige posted, I think is looks like a cross between a Jaguar Guapote and a Blue Tilapia.
The Midas cichlid has a hump on it's head...
Dirty- Do you SWIM in that water with the Trahira in it? OMG

Well, looking at that website that Bige posted, I think is looks like a cross between a Jaguar Guapote and a Blue Tilapia.
The Midas cichlid has a hump on it's head...
Dirty- Do you SWIM in that water with the Trahira in it? OMG
not all those fish are really seen . actually I have never seen that trahira. and yep everybody swimms......that is most likely way out in the glades or something not in the local rivers where it is heavily human populated. mainly what I have listed in my tank is most common....at least in my niegborhood. I was thinking hybrid or cross myself......

Did you look at the Jaguar Guapote and Blue Talipa? Looks like they interbred and made you some AWESOME fish! I think they look really cool!

And I would hope that those nasty little fish are not where people swim! I didn't think Northern Pike were where we swam either, but then I caught one this Spring in 2ft of water. ACK! Needless to say, when we floated the river this year, I stayed FAR away from the shore!

I haven't looked carefully yet, but I think it's one of the central American cichlids. By the way, you can rule out Tilapia and the vast majority of African cichlids by coloration. With very few exceptions, these are readily distinguished from New World cichlids by the presence of a small ocellus or spot on the upper corner of the gill cover. It is sometimes obscured by stripes or other markings, but if you look carefully you can still see it.

Tony

thats got to it. its so close. actually someone said it may be this breed http://www.oneinfostop.com/mycichlidtank/amphilopheus_citrinellus.jpg without the good coloring. I had one of these (died) from the same river. I was told it was a red devil.... we are supposed to have midas cichlids in our waters so makes sense. thanx everyone...

Back
Top Bottom