what kind of fish should i get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.bigglesworth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently just bought a 36 gallon bowfront and trying to figure out what kind of fish I should get.I would like to get some pictus catfish but not to sure how many I should get and what kind of fish get along well with them.if u have any advice

While a splendid species of fish it's not one I'd recommend for a 3ft. tank. These guys really should be schools of 5-7 and with a max size 8", these would be a great addition to a much larger tank. So my advice would be small schoal of one of the numerous species of cory cats.

zebra danios are another good fish, very hardy and full of life. my tank looks active all the time. you could go for group of 8 (minimum of 6).

tropical-fish said:
zebra danios are another good fish, very hardy and full of life. my tank looks active all the time. you could go for group of 8 (minimum of 6).

I also vote for adding some Zebra Danios. They are fun little fish, active and even come nip at your fingers when you're in the tank :). I've said this in other threads, but I always recommend adding some Danios to a healthy, cycled tank because the poor little guys are always sold by the lfs's to sacrifice and cycle tanks. By adopting a few, you are most likely saving them from a cruel and short life.

BTW, I assume you're going to do a fishless cycle with your new tank? I hope you will check out the article in my signature. We'll all be happy to help you along the way.

mr.bigglesworth said:
Fishless cycle?

Check out the article in my signature. It will tell you all about it in detail. Fishless cycling is the easiest, most efficient and most humane way to cycle a tank. There's plenty of resident experts on this site that can teach you all about it and walk through through the process. Feel free to post any questions about it either here or on my guide thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom