What kind of lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 44g corner tank that I've recently added some plants too. I have some Java Fern and Moss, a sword plant and I think Wisteria. Just wondering what kind of lighting I should be using? Right now I just have an aquarium bulb, I think 15 w (sorry I don't have more info). I was thinking I should get a brighter bulb (maybe 40w?). Don't know much about different bulbs and lighting and what not....yet ;). Thanks in advance for your help :)

Attachments

• image-2439444760.jpg
    image-2439444760.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 96
So I posted the same thread in freshwater planted...darn it I think I keep posting questions in the wrong forum :/. Sorry if I am folks !!!

What type of seat does the bulb have? Is it a fluorescent strip? If so, your fixture probably can't take anything other than 15 watt bulbs. You'll need a brand new fixture. The cheapest way to do this is getting T8 fluorescent bulbs and some shop light fixtures at a hardware store.

Im not sure, I bought the tank used and it has the fixture that came with it (the seller told me it was a kit from Walmart). It only has room for one bulb, so I bought one (before I put plants in) from home depot. The bulb says for plants/aquarium but I just don't think it's bright enough as my java fern has brown spots? Sorry but would mind explaining what T8 is?

Okay never mind about the T8 explanation...googled it :)

The bulbb says F15T8 plant and Aquarium...good enough?

F15T8 means 15 watts T8 bulb. I don't really think that's enough for anything outside fish viewing. You want at least 60-100watts T8 on a tank of 44 gallons if you're planning on low light plants like Java fern and swords.

I'd got to home depot and pick up a two bulb shop light or two.

Back
Top Bottom