What kind of lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of lighting should I have?

• Keep what you have, just use 6500K bulbs instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You need to get something smaller.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
zacdl said:
Ill have to be replacing it to a 6500K anyway, might as well just buy two 6500s.

10,000K grows plants fine, and is pretty close to white light. But if your money grows on trees, feel free to spend the extra to have 2 6500K's.

here is the link to the lighting requirements for plantgeek.net.. it should give you a good idea what your able to and not able to keep with your current lighting..
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=1

btw. the blue light from your other bulb isnt completely useless it just isnt going to make much of a difference in your wpg calculation (very little of it is useful).. it might make the plants grow a little "bushier" and give the fish that blue look that alot of people like.. :p

I prefer the look of 10,000k and actinic bulbs. I think 6,500-6,700k lights look really yellow compared to my tanks still using the saltwater bulbs the fixtures came with. Actinics do add some useful light and adding lots of blue light tends to make plants grow shorter and wider while lots of red light makes plants taller and thinner. It's just not as much useful light as if you added 6,500-10,000k spectrum because you have an excess of blue and not enough red or other light. I did have some wonderful growth adding purple plant gro bulbs with the actinic and 10,000k.

Back
Top Bottom