What kind of lotus is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased this along with a true red tiger lotus like 2 years ago from a LFS before they finally closed there last store and went out of business. I paid like $10 for it i think, at the time it was just the bulb and has like maybe 4 leaves that were so small i didnt believe it was a lotus at first.. For the first year all it did was sit there, didnt grow or anything except having like 4-5 penny sized leaves.. Then it broke off the bulb and i thought it was dead but i decided to put it in my 92g dicus tank and see if the higher lighting the tank has would help.

Well its bascially blow up in size, the first burst it was mostly leaves on the bottom but they were huge, then it finally sprouted lillies on the surface like 6 or 7 of them.. But then the bottom started dying off for some reason, however now the bottom is growing like a weed, has like 20 leaves and they are all mostly almost mid tank level reaching up to the light. It stopped sporuting lillies and they all died off slowely but now its growing lillies..

I guess the plant has phases where it grows bottom leaves first, then floating pads, then the bottom dies off while the lilly pads support it so it can grow new better lower level leaves.. Then that stops so it can grow more lilly pads.

Anyway, the plant seems to be doing fine in higher water temps 82-84f and as you can see its pretty much solid red. However i know it isnt a red tiger lotus.. What kind of Lotus is this ? Also because the bottom leaves keep reaching so high for the light im almost wondering if the power compacts im using isnt enough lol.. I have 2x 65w duel 6700k PC lights above it (one on the left and one of the right sides of the tank) so i dont see how that isnt enough lol.

I can add two more 65W power compacts in there, but id be afraid that all 4 on will bring back the green spot algae that i finally got rid of on my S. repens when i did have 4 on at the time.

img_3258084_0_e505d5c8b168f319890127e02457f60d.jpg

img_3258084_1_74c5a65b6cedeb0ae44729520eb25912.jpg

Back
Top Bottom