What kind of pleco is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know the pictures are awful. I was watching YouTube videos on planted tanks and saw these beautiful "fantail" plecos!!! I fell in love. Can anyone provide me with the appropriate name?
Thanks so much. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415972842.885212.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415972881.330243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

looks like a sailfin to me
his fins are like razors he will be the bully of the tank That tank he is in must get redone daily cause that pleco would tear it apart
if I only could find a home for mine I can't stand him any more lol
my tanks not planted but he rearranges everything in it
beautiful fish just not worth the havoc

Big fish are not for pretty tanks! If it is a big fish?
If you like a fish so much to be moved by its physical appearance the setting need only be suitable for the fish, heavy rock and large wood pieces tend to stay put, bigger plants seem to fare better, tough leaved things like Anubias tend to be left alone.

Once the tank has been arranged by the fish it normally stays that way, lighter substrates typically end up washed into the corners, something to bear in mind around the filter inlet. Sand is not filter friendly!

These fish or more correctly, large sized Loricariidae, need a lot of additional food!

I'm not sure this is a natural line of plec, I think it may be line bred or similar to long tail versions of things like platy.

(It is natural but not true to form)

Most likely some type of hypostomus, how big was it? They are sometimes difficult to identify as there are a few similar looking but different species.

H. Commersoni looks similar but I don't think it's that.
Much smaller species,
Ancistrus long fin, Ancistrus Temminckii? That's old/small enough to have been line bred.

I am not a pleco expert by any means but it looks like a longfin ancistrus to me.

Awesome you guys! It was a longfin pleco. I just got one from Petsmart for $7. Albino bristle nose. Beautiful fish. So excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom