What kind of Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobandBecca

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to add a pleco to my community 55g tank, just looking for some suggestions. Thanks you all in advance.

The tank has had a brown algae problem fot the last couple weeks is the motivation for getting the pleco.

Bristlenose pleco, they are lovely. Here's mine, he's just over 5" in length now

image-2982358065.jpg

image-189590452.jpg

Here is a photo of my Rubberlip..he has done a great job getting my brown algae...they grow 4-6 inches I believe

Attachments

• 20121006_093649.jpg
    20121006_093649.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 76
Is the tank new? Sounds like you have diatoms which while annoying to look at will eventually go away on their own. I have a Longfin Albino bristlenose pleco and the thing I like about the albinos is that they are more active during the day than most pleco's.

Bristle nose, bull dog or clown plecos are great for that size tank but TBH if your only motivation is to get rid of diatoms(the brown algae) I wouldn't bother. They are ok algae eaters but as they get larger they slow down on it and they always need other options to fulfill their dietary need. Diatoms are fed mostly by silicates in your water, eventually they will go away on their own as time passes. They are different than the usual "green algae" you see in that they don't really get caused by light.

Plecos are great little guys for a tank but the idea of getting them as a clean up crew or simply to help with algae isn't a great one. They will make a good member to your tank but plecos are messy fish as well, pretty high bio load. So just weigh why you want one. If it's only for algae or clean up then I would pass it up and just wipe it off until it clears up. If you want one for the great addition to your tank than the Bull dog, clown and bristle nose are great options for plecos. There are other cats that are really neat too. Like the striped or spotted rapheal cat. They are one of the neatest looking cats I think I've seen next to the more exotic plecos.

this is a new tank, 6 weeks to cycle 10 of being setup. i do want to make some great additions to my tank. i love this hobby i can't get enough. i thought i would be killing to birds with one fish.:brows: so i am still up in the air on what i want and what i should do.

I added a rubberlip pleco to my tank a few days ago. I havent seen him since. It's kind of a shame because I waited weeks for my lfs to get one back in, and for me to get there before it was sold!

I think gold nugget plecos look amazing :) I have never had one, but I would really like one!! They get up to 6 inches, and says they are suitable for a 55 gal

p-89729-pleco-33286P_6.jpg

My royal pleco. Love this guy!!

Attachments

• image-4019688989.jpg
    image-4019688989.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 54
Sounds like diatoms almost judging by how long the tank has been set up. I had the same issue and added 4 nerite snails and they cleaned it all up in about 48-36 hours. While I love Plecos snails are much more efficient at cleaning up algae/diatoms.

My clown pleco was hiding all the time. Its been a little over a week and he has loosened up alot i see him more now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom