What kind of rock to use for attachment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
GRRR! Put in my plant order so I went to buy driftwood today.
I went to the pet store & Walmart in town, neither has driftwood. Went to Petsmart in a town an hour away, no driftwood. Went to another really nice pet store in same town as PS, they had wood for aquariums, but all the pieces stuck up vertically & the bottoms were attached to slate, nothing that really appealed to me.

Walmart has a fake rock thing, could my java moss grow on this or do I need a real rock?

If I need a real piece of rock, what should I look for that won't change my water parameters to much?

Thanks!
Niki

Java moss dosn't needa rock to grown on, you can use anything.

As for what wont change your parameters.... the viniger test is highly debated, but what most threads come down to.

really just avoid limestone and lace rock...as both can increase your carbonate hardness and pH.

FYI, a LOT of perfectly good driftwood comes attached to a piece of slate. this helps anchor it, as lots of driftwood likes to float for a week until it's 100% water logged.

If you like a piece of driftwood that is attatched to slate, just unscrew it, & glue it all the way around to the bottom of the tank before adding gravel. This will ensure that debris doesn't collect under the DW. There are also pieces available on-line, but the problem with that would be the ability to choose a piece that you personally like. This place is pretty good though:

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/subcat.asp?0=200

I'll have to look at the link Ajax posted. All the pieces i've seen so far attached to slate I really didn't like as most i've seen are tall & thin. I was hoping to get a short/chunky piece.

What I need to do is go to the beach & get some driftwood to cure myself, maybe keep for a later tank.

Bought a piece of tufa rock tonight. Has the shape I was looking for, think it'll look great with java moss on it (I understand moss doesn't *have* to be attached. Just think it will look good!)

nikipike said:
I understand moss doesn't *have* to be attached. Just think it will look good!

Ya, My tanks are so overgrown with javamoss i dont like the way it looks anymore :)

Back
Top Bottom