What kind of rocks are these.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I bought my used 75 it had some rocks with it. I have no idea what the are and if they are safe to put in my tanks. How would I clean them to make sure I don't give my oscars any diseases? These are the rock types.

Attachments

• image-754178954.jpg
    image-754178954.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image-708822553.jpg
    image-708822553.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image-781467625.jpg
    image-781467625.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3255430618.jpg
    image-3255430618.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 86
Seems like lava rock. I have some lava rock in my tank, but I'm still cycling so I can't give you my opinion. Do a Google search for "Lava Rock in Aquarium" or something like that.

Makavelli02 said:
When I bought my used 75 it had some rocks with it. I have no idea what the are and if they are safe to put in my tanks. How would I clean them to make sure I don't give my oscars any diseases? These are the rock types.

There's a test called "the vinegar test". Pour some on the rock and if it bubbles, the rock is unsafe, if not then you're OK.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thank you they were already in an aquarium. I am just worried about transferring disease or something that was in the other tank. They have some really dark Algie on them. How would I clean them

Makavelli02 said:
Thank you they were already in an aquarium. I am just worried about transferring disease or something that was in the other tank. They have some really dark Algie on them. How would I clean them

Stiff brush, elbow grease and scrub as much as you can off. Then boil or oven at 350. That'll kill anything on then. Just make sure you put them in and let em heat as the pot/oven heats up or they may crack.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Boiling/baking rocks is a very bad idea IMO. I've heard way too may stories of people doing this and the rocks explode because of air pockets inside them. I cleaned some of my rocks in the dishwasher with my driftwood

mfdrookie516 said:
Boiling/baking rocks is a very bad idea IMO. I've heard way too may stories of people doing this and the rocks explode because of air pockets inside them. I cleaned some of my rocks in the dishwasher with my driftwood

Humm. I've done a few in my oven and only had it happen the first time when I didn't put them in as it heated up. Lesson learned :). He's got porous lava and hidden detritus will not be put down in a DW or just scrubbing it.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Back
Top Bottom