What kind of root tabs do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at doing some DIY root tabs and wanted to know what you guys use?i had flourish root tabs and did osmocote smart release NOT THE PLUS as they don't sell it any more.and the osmocote I got did not have micronutrients so what ferts can I use that would work for root tabs?

I use DIY Osmocote plus. I found Osmocote Plus at a nursery here in my town. They purchase the huge bags, then make 2 pound jars for sale.

You can still purchase O+ root tabs at a very inexpensive price - since a little goes a long way, there are some people who still have loads left even after it was discontinued.

I use 3 kinds of Aqua Fertz root pellets from Aquarium Plant dot com:
Total
Phosphate
Iron

Plus I ordered the handy pellet injector (no wet hands). Pellets are 75/$10 when I ordered then in Jan 2013.

Have any of you ever hear of fox farm. I was looking at open sesame,beasty bloomz or cha Ching would these work?

If someone can post the micronutrient levels of osmocote plus I can match the two and see if it will work

On the back reads. 1 open sesame- total nitrogen 5.0, phosphate 45.0, k20 19.0, sulfur- 2.0, iron- .15 Mn-.05, Zn.05- 2.cha-Ching - N-9.0, P205- 50.0, K20-10.0- B.02- Cu- .05- Fe-.10- Mn .05- Zn-.05. 3. Beastie bloomz- P205- 50.0, K20-30.0, B-.02- Cu-.05, Fe.10- Mn-.05- Zn -.05 Will one of these work?

You have to use O+ from my understanding... Just go on eBay and buy some premade ones. That's what I do. They're so cheap :)

Osmocote

When I make my own red clay root tabs I sprinkle the Osmocote on a flat piece of clay and roll it into a spike. Let it dry for a couple of days and stick them into the substrate just beneath the plants. Swords, repens and renecki love iron.

Attachments

• Osmocote Ferts.jpg
    Osmocote Ferts.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 68
When I make my own red clay root tabs I sprinkle the Osmocote on a flat piece of clay and roll it into a spike. Let it dry for a couple of days and stick them into the substrate just beneath the plants. Swords, repens and renecki love iron.

What other things can someone wrap the osmocote in? Could I just put it in by itself under sand substrate?

They are really easy to make. Just buy some of the time release ferts and some size 00 gel capsules. The Dynamite Flower and Vegetable seems to be the most popular choice atm for dry ferts to use.

Since I couldn't get the dynamite locally I bought this and have been using it for about 6 months now. Each tab costs me about $.02 to make.

75748-albums12252-picture60273.jpg

They are really easy to make. Just buy some of the time release ferts and some size 00 gel capsules. The Dynamite Flower and Vegetable seems to be the most popular choice atm for dry ferts to use. Since I couldn't get the dynamite locally I bought this and have been using it for about 6 months now. Each tab costs me about $.02 to make.

Is this the capsules your referring too? Are they aquarium safe? And do you mix the two types together? Or just one or the other?

image-2402289809.jpg

I do a 50/50 mix of both of the ferts. Yes those are similar to what I use for the gel capsules. You should be able to find them locally at health food stores.

If you go with those types of tabs just push them deep into the substrate as they release a little ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom