What kind of snail is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaunet

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got 3 Anacharis plants from Petco today that came in bunches. To help with making it more natural looking and aid in the nitrate levels. Apparently they came with some hitchhikers aka snails. I’m not sure what kind they are.IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1695.jpgIMG_1696.jpg

Any ideas? I don’t mind them being there as long as they will get along with my rabbit snails.(?)

Hard to see what's going on there. Looks like caviar. May I suggest getting some crackers to go with that?

But seriously, could you take a closer picture for identifying purposes?

Sorry I should’ve realized it would be hard to see on the black sand I have as my substrate. And the lil pissers are fast! I tried to get a pic of one before it went under the cuttlebone I have, if I can catch one on the glass when it’s feeding time I will snap a better pic.

I can describe them though if that helps. I’m guessing they’re babies bc they’re tiny about the size and shape of a grain of rice, and have a black shell.

Rabbit snails can make babies too - just a heads up but they are individually laid not a big cluster blob of 10's to 100's. Not too crazy prolific.

Malaysian Trumpet snails have cone shaped shells and stay around the substrate a lot. some are lighter or darker , some with slightly bumpy shells and some smooth.

There are pond snails, bladder snails and Ramshorn snails seen most often as prolific breeders in a well to over fed tank, and / or one with a less vigorous substrate cleaning schedule.

Also can't really tell in the pics.

I have searched the tank top to bottom and found the snail babies nowhere. I’ve come to the conclusion that either my gourami Jade or my Cory feasted on them. Which is fine just a bit of protein for whoever scarfed em down lol

Okay I was wrong one survived. I saw him this morning when it was feeding time. IMG_1703.jpg

Awesome thanks for the info guys. Hopefully it’ll get along well with my rabbit snails bc Peter n Foo Foo (my daughter named em) have priority rofl

Won't bother them. Personally, I like them, :rolleyes: they are pretty and graceful, eat and clean up well. Obviously too many is a problem, especially can happen if you are over feeding and have harder water. I never really have too many and I do over feed at times, but have a little softer water.

Back
Top Bottom