What kind of snails for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get some snails...I like the look of the Golden Apples, but I'm not going to be picky. Here's the rub;

I had a dozen or so small snails a while back. Then some kribs and rainbows moved in, roughly the same time, and a couple of days later, my snail "problem" (mostly my wife called it that, but they weren't intentional, they hitchhike in with some plants) was gone. I don't know for sure who finished them off, but I'm pretty sure it was the kribs.

Flash forward to now. I want a couple of snails. Question is, will juviniles survive in my tank? For that matter, will an adult? Of course I want then to do more than "just survive", so do you think they'd be torrmented without mercy by the kribs?

If I can put snails in this tank, what kind, and how large should they be going in? This is a moderately planted tank, so I guess I'd prefer a snail that will more stick to the algae, but on the other hand, I did buy the plants (mostly) so they could be eaten by fish, so I guess a snail that is low to no cunsumption of living plant matter. Now dead plant matter, have at it!

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm new to snails. I'm going to spend a few more days doing research on this, but any hints would be great!

Thanks!

I keep spixis successfully in an aggro african cichlid tank.... but i think that it is really dependent on the fishies

Your average apple snail from the LFS is probably Pomacea bridgesii, which do not eat living plants (but they do like veggies! Subtle but important difference there). I've kept them with kribs and have not had problems (I've not had any problems with any kind of snail with the kribs, in fact). For a while the kribs were curious and would try to nibble their antennae, but the snails would just duck back into their shells.
Have you ever used copper-based meds in your tank? That would definitely wipe out a snail population, and you want to make sure you've never had copper in there before adding new snails, as they'll just die too.

I've never put a med into this tank, and I can't think of any copper source. I'm pretty sure it was the kribs, but like I said, it could have been the rainbows. the snails were small, maybe a quarter inch for a big one. They were in there for a couple of months with a growing population before the new fish arrived, and then within a couple of days, they were all gone.

I would suggest a brig (aka mystery snail) from the local petsmart. They are usually big enough that the fish should not bother them. However if they are nipping at their feet of antenna, you would be wise to move them to another tank. A snail tank can be quite amusing. I hooked my mother on the little slimmers by having a 5g bow snail tank on my desk. She will come over and watch them for hours. :)

This method will be least expensive for you, as shipping would cost more than the store price. Plus there are laws now for interstate shipping, you need permits and such. Going to the store would just be easier, plus you can pick the one(s) you want. Beware, snails can be addicting. Just another precursor to MTS. :)
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom