What kind of snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv4dan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I kind of want to get a snail only tank but don't know much about them. Would a 5 gallon tank be enough and for how many? And what are the more desirable snails and why?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, if it's a snail-only tank, the issue of desirable is a bit different. Some snails are more desirable in planted aquariums because they do not eat plants (will you have live plants? Or maybe that's OK and how you want to feed them), some are more desirable because they do not breed in fresh water (nerites) and so you always have exactly the number you added, not suddenly 10 times as many. Some are desirable because they eat other snails (assassin). Some grow large and may occasionally exit the tank if not top (apple), which is good or bad depending on what you want.

To some degree you'll read if you google a bit that people have trouble NOT growing snails, they appear very resilient.

What makes them desirable to you?

Sorry my question is kinda vague. I suppose I mean I kinda wanna have something cool looking and kinda rare. Maybe even something common like a nerite or ramshorn but a more uncommon color (if they exist). I'd like to have plants but not a must. And it doesn't matter if they breed or not. Thanks.
Edit: also by desirable I mean what people don't consider pests. For example, pond snails aren't desirable to most people from what I've read, but are there other ones that are not desirable/considered pests?

Well, pond snails are considered pests because they eat plants. Put some fast growing plants in and you could call it food.

I'm new to this so there's probably a lot available I have not seen, but if you are going for striking appearance... well, snails are not exactly know for guest appearances on late night talk shows.

Apple Snails can get pretty large, occasionally come out of the tank, and probably are among the largest readily available.

Nerites have some good size and color, e.g. the zebra. They are about 3-4 times the size of ramshorns. They generally won't breed unless you accommodate water type.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails spend a lot of daylight under the substrate but have a great, long, often colored shape (but are not very large).

Google "freshwater snails" and look around to find something you like the looks of.

You might also consider having something to go with the snails, to add a bit of interest. Shrimp, Crayfish (also tear up some plants) are interesting invertebrate alternatives if you don't want fish. I keep ghost shrimp and snails together -- they will eat snail eggs but won't bother adult snails.

So do your ghost shrimp control your snail population pretty well? I have two ghost shrimp with some fish and the female keeps having babies but they keep getting eaten so maybe I could put them in with the snails once I get the tank. I'm also setting up a red cherry shrimp tank, so I kinda wanted a snail tank now lol. Thanks for your help.

I also have two angel fish. Both they and the shrimp eat snail eggs. I think the angel fish would also eat the baby snails, but I have yet to see any since getting the angel fish.

I don't suggest it is always a solution, probably depends on hiding areas and the specific fish/shrimp. But at the moment I actually have a breeding tank I put inside the main tank to protect a few eggs and try to get a few more ramshorn. If you read, you'll see people at the opposite end of that spectrum, trying to lure them out and disposing of them by the handful. Your mileage may vary.

Uncommon snails would be Sulawesi rabbit snails, personally I like the orange bodied variety. They're a bit particular about water conditions, but if you can keep them successfully you can add some Sulawesi shrimp as well.

I'd never heard of those snails. They r cool looking! Thank you both.

Back
Top Bottom