What kind of substrate do you reccomend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwkwardGiraffe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This thread is about sand/gravel. I have a 3.5 gallon fish tank planning on have some RCS and some plants (Marimo moss ball, anibias nana, and perhaps some dwarf val). I was wondering what kind of substrate I should use. Please don't give me dirt or Eco-complete stuff. I need something simple. Please tell me what your recommendations are for both sand and gravel. I'm sorry if I'm kinda demanding, I just want answers.........

Silica sand or pool filter sand work great. I prefer sand over gravel hands down.

Pool filter sand, is the best in my opinion, easy to clean and if it gets disturbed it drops back without clouding the water, I had gravel for years , wish I'd have been brave enough to change to sand earlier :)

Thanks guys :) I too have gravel right now (black) and I've always wanted sand, but people said it was bad for the plants. I think that only applies to root plants (the ones who depend on their roots). So thank you. Maybe I'll snap a pic later....maybe

I started with gravel but always had it going mouldy and looked unsightly. It was a light colour so didnt take long!

Made the effort to switch to sand one night (moment of madness) and havnt looked back.

Looks much more natural and have since put in amazon swords who love it.

Back
Top Bottom