What kind of Substrate should I go with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cterzich

Aquarium Advice Regular
I see alot of tanks with sand, but I was thinking maybe crushed coral would have the same look with the PH buffer. The only problem with sand I see is cleaning. Can you really clean sand well?

If you could please let me know what you guys use?

I have play sand mixed with crushed coral in my 125 g cichlid tank. It's not hard to clean, just hover the syphon over the sand.

Do you do 50/50? Hey I just had a idea, and maybe it's already out there. A program like cad, but easier that allows you to input your tank information and design your tank. Kind of like you get to play it out before doing it. I don't mind drawing it, but I rather use something on my pc.

umm, pool filter sand is the ONLY way to go... but thats just my opinion... i can do a deep "sand vac", and none of it ends up in the sink... it vacs just like gravel, the fish love it, and it looks really nice... not to meantion, it is 10 times easier to initially clean when you put it in...

I like the fine crushed river rock, its got the look of sand, but also a little earthy. And its great to vacuum!

I really like the white sand look. I just bought gravel 3 days ago and already used it, so I can return it. I like the sand look, so much I'm buying stuff all over again.

umm, pool filter sand is the ONLY way to go... but thats just my opinion... i can do a deep "sand vac", and none of it ends up in the sink... it vacs just like gravel, the fish love it, and it looks really nice... not to meantion, it is 10 times easier to initially clean when you put it in...

Are you speaking of filter sand for pools?

i disagree...umm i was in the same bought i had both natural gravel and crushed corals..everyone said they were nitrate factories...I switched over to PFS and yes it keep stuff on the top but boy does it look messy...i clean my 125 every friday and it looks like i never touched it...the pleco poop is to heavy to lift into my siphon....its just a mess...i wish i'd stayed with what i had..but i've already filled my tank with it and i dont want to change it

i disagree...umm i was in the same bought i had both natural gravel and crushed corals..everyone said they were nitrate factories...I switched over to PFS and yes it keep stuff on the top but boy does it look messy...i clean my 125 every friday and it looks like i never touched it...the pleco poop is to heavy to lift into my siphon....its just a mess...i wish i'd stayed with what i had..but i've already filled my tank with it and i dont want to change it

I'm going with crushed coral and PFS 50/ 50 mix. Try getting some bottom eaters.

What kind of syphon are you using to vacum your tank? I have sand with a little gravel mixed in on top in my 125 oscar tank that houses a 12 inch pleco, and a eupterus cat thats about 10 inches. I use a python to vacum it with, I found that if I leave it attached to the sink with the water running to syphon with it doesn't do a very good job with sucking the poo up, BUT if I take the sink attachment end off of the python and run it out the door, it sux the poo out without a problem. I blame gravity...lol. Maybe this would work for you.

I use Carib Sea Eco-Complete African Cichlid Sand in my tanks that have shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika. It buffers the water to a high pH, the fish like digging around in it and it looks good in the tank.

Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate

With any sand you do need to make sure your filter intake isn't too low in the tank so that you avoid it getting sucked in.

I see alot of tanks with sand, but I was thinking maybe crushed coral would have the same look with the PH buffer. The only problem with sand I see is cleaning. Can you really clean sand well?

If you could please let me know what you guys use?

you cant really get filter sand for pools here in the uk. Been trying for months and half the home depot staff have never heard of it, and the few pool shops there are don't stock it.

by the way its even harder to get blasting sand too...lol :(

So guess us UK guys and gals just have to stay satisfied with play sand or gravel substrate.

Have fun designing your tank in computer modeling software... in a matter of days your cichlids will show you what they think it should look like in "real time", lol..

Back
Top Bottom