What kind of wood releases the most tannins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to use would in my 24 gallon tank to make a blackwater tank and to lower the pH, so which wood is the most recommended to do this? And what are the different properties between bogwood, driftwood and red moor?

Simply put, driftwood floats, bogwood sinks. Red moor root is just a specific type of wood with cool-looking root structures.

Mopani wood is known to release a lot of tannins- I've never used it myself. Look for any of the darker-colored types. Indian almond leaves can be used as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For my blackwater tetra tank I used a piece of Mopani drift wood from the fish store and it puts out tons of tannins and from reading other posts it sounds like it keeps it up for a very long time and doesn't rot and sinks like lead. Alison:)

Mopani, turned my tank brown for weeks. To achieve that Low ph, blackwater tank you'll need bog Peet in the filter or substrate, that's the only thing that's going to have a drastic affect on ph. I use Indian almond leaves to lightly stain water, enough would get the water pretty dark though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But I've heard that mopani wood is endangered and harmful to fish when it rots, so can anyone decide which to use in the three that I've mentioned? Do they all release tannins? And which one is the most effective?

Malaysian dw should work. It should be easy to find since it's fairly common. I wouldn't expect it to color the water in the long-term though. Grab the darkest-colored piece you can find.

So would bogwood be a better option?

And what's with Malaysian in front of it? Does it make much of a difference.

It's imported from Malaysia. I suggested it because it usually has a darker color to it, so you can expect tannins. Bogwood isn't a specific type, it just means it sinks. Any type of dw should eventually sink on its own and become "bogwood"

Mopani wood, so far as I have experienced, doesn't rot. It's rock hard and dense, which typically means it will last a long long time under water. Mine is still leaching some tannins after nearly 3 years in a tank.

Malaysian driftwood is also rock hard and dense. Both of these release tons of tannins at first and keep it up to some degree for awhile. If you don't want that, you can soak them first or boil them. I've soaked wood for as long as 6 months, and even used bleach to speed up the leaching of tannins. All depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Any wood that's been allowed to dry out is less likely to sink right away and soaking will waterlog it so it will sink. If it won't stay down, tie rocks to it, that will speed up the waterlogging process.

One thing I did learn is that grapevine, which is sold for terrariums and reptiles, and is also rock hard and heavy, doesn't sink well and once you finally get it to sink, it rots quite quickly. The dark heartwood will rot out much faster than the lighter coloured outer wood does. So I wouldn't bother with grapevine for a tank again. It does not release nearly so much tannin as the darker woods from Asia do.

Almost any aged hardwood can be used for a tank though, and if it's been soaking in a bog for some time, it will sink, if nothing else. How much tannin it leaches may depend on how long it was wet and where it was. Peat bogs have a lot of tannins and the wood may still leach a lot in a tank.

If you are really wanting lots of tannins, leaf litter is a good way to get them. Indian Almond leaves are especially rich in tannins and release them quite quickly too. They rot fast as well, so they need replacing fairly often. One leaf will turn a few gallons of water to steeped tea brown in a day or two. You can use oak or other hardwood leaves instead, so long as they are gathered after they turn fully brown, though they have less tannin than the Almond leaves do. They also last much longer.

Back
Top Bottom