What kinda trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
My woman and I just got home from fishing. I caught this guy on a sabiki line just as we were getting ready to leave and brought him home to my lion and snowflake eel that sits it a 90 gallon tank.

He acclimated perfect and is doing great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• image-251818458.jpg
    image-251818458.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 231
  • image-1712963365.jpg
    image-1712963365.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 217
  • image-4014030706.jpg
    image-4014030706.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 190
We also caught at 22 inch puffer, twenty blue runner, 6 jacks and 7 lookdowns. The crispy part is all the fish I was gonna eat for the week I had to toss back cause I decided to bring the trigger home in my 5 gallon bucket. :(.

Better be worth it

Pier worker said they are invasive to keep it , and i feel it's safer than buying a fish at a store.

AbsoluteFaye said:
Look up "gray triggerfish". See of they look similar. It might be that.

That's it thanks!!!!!! Looks like they get too big for my tank and may harm my lion. One way ticket to the lfs. :( pretty cool fish though I fed him three shrimp snd he devoured them.

jetajockey said:
Assuming that it is a gray trigger there are size restrictions to keeping them if you are in FL. I only know this because I caught some small olive green triggers a few weeks ago and had to look it up.

Triggerfish

Oops.... I think I'll take him back to the ocean than the lfs.

Shaker said:
Oops.... I think I'll take him back to the ocean than the lfs.

If it's an invasive species like the guy at the dock said then I wouldn't release it back into the ocean.

I think the guy at the dock didn't know what he was talking about cause they the gray trigger are native to the Atlantic

Shaker said:
I think the guy at the dock didn't know what he was talking about cause they the gray trigger are native to the Atlantic

Ok. If it isn't invasive then turn it loose! Sorry you can't keep him. Maybe next time you're out fishing you'll catch something you can keep! :)

I caught my most favorite fish today.. It was a 14 inch porcupine puffer. Soooooo awesome. Took me some time to get the hook out but I did and off he went and swam away.

Gray triggerfish (Balistes capriscus) as AbsoluteFaye had suggested. It should do okay in an aquarium (at a maximum size of about 12 inches, it's actually smaller than some of the other triggerfishes commonly kept), but you should check on size or other regulations first.

Tony

Thanks for that info Jetajockey. I was relying on information in the FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes volume for the Western Central Atlantic. The account for B. capriscus says "maximum to about 30 cm; commonly to 20 cm." Mistakes are common enough in such volumes, but it is a little odd that the maximum size given is shorter than the legal keep size! I'll level the mistake at the feet of the author of the triggerfish section (a good friend on mine). Hopefully the section I wrote for that volume (on the family Grammatidae) is error free!

Tony

Well he went back into the ocean... Too afraid he would mess with my lion or eel.

I must say, I am very jealous that you guys can fish up these way cool species of fish that people pay top dollar for at the LFS! There's only freshwater around me, and only good things to catch here make nothing more than a good dinner!

Very cool stories and nice catches!!

I must say, I am very jealous that you guys can fish up these way cool species of fish that people pay top dollar for at the LFS! There's only freshwater around me, and only good things to catch here make nothing more than a good dinner!

Very cool stories and nice catches!!
Not to stray too far off topic but you'd be surprised at what you can find up there as well.

I live in central Indiana lol. Most I got around here is corn fields lol. The few lakes around here tho you can find some good sized gars. And a surprisingly large amount of Oscar fish turn up in lakes from people releasing them into the wild

I apologize if I strayed way far off topic from the OP! Didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Back
Top Bottom