What large fish can I put in a 29g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBenns

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not looking for too big I know that's not possible, but I was thinking maybe like around 7 inches or bigger if I could.

An Oscar, Severums are very nice large fish as well. Eventually they might outgrow the tank and you might have to find a new home for them, especially the Oscar, but it's fun watching them grow.

U got to be kidding me! Oscars need 55 gallons for a SINGLE fish! better option will be firemouth cichlids, banded cichlids, or maybe a jack Dempsey by himself with no tankmates

You're right about the Oscar. I actually edited the post.

U got to be kidding me! Oscars need 55 gallons for a SINGLE fish! better option will be firemouth cichlids, banded cichlids, or maybe a jack Dempsey by himself with no tankmates
Would love the jack Dempsey!!! I thought you would need a bigger tank?

A Jack Dempsey would get too big for a 29g, IMO the minimum tank size for one is a 40 breeder, and that's for a female. Males would probably need larger. Overall, the footprint of a 29g is not that great, so sadly there aren't many "big, mean fish" options. Your best bet would probably be a convict or a firemouth.

A Jack Dempsey would get too big for a 29g, IMO the minimum tank size for one is a 40 breeder, and that's for a female. Males would probably need larger. Overall, the footprint of a 29g is not that great, so sadly there aren't many "big, mean fish" options. Your best bet would probably be a convict or a firemouth.
X2. You can't put a Dempsey or an oscar in a 29 gallon.

Convict
Salvini
Firemouth
Jade eyed cichlid
Jewel cihlid
Rainbow cichlid

Those would be comfy in your tank at full grown as minimum tank size, imo.
U may also pick 2 to put in, with some of them.

Back
Top Bottom