What LEDS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the thread with the 'sneak peak' video on the Ecoxotic. I believe there discussion there on tentative release. But pricing isn't finalized yet.

Sneak peak at the new plant light!

You can post a question to the Current/Eco Rep about the legs.

But "I think" it will look like Ecoxotic's Marine/Reef LED fixture. It's hard to tell from the video, but it does look like it here, but with the RGB's and suitable spectrum for planted tanks:
Ecoxotic Panorama Marine LED Light Fixture
Thanks Brian, I read the "Sneak Peak" link above and it seems like it WILL have extendable legs. Great news for me and my 39" tank!!!
Do you think it will be considerably more expensive???

I think it's a given that it will be more expensive because as with a lot of things, as the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for." I mean, this new fixture has more output, higher quality LED chips, and comes with a Pro Ramp timer. However, it shouldn't be ridiculously priced high. Technology improves and prices go down (i.e. think HDTV's and computers).

I know from chatting with their rep that one of their goals is to keep price-points as low as possible to remain competitive -- especially when they're competing with companies like Finnex who are pros at keeping cost down while delivering a capable product.

I think it's a given that it will be more expensive because as with a lot of things, as the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for." I mean, this new fixture has more output, higher quality LED chips, and comes with a Pro Ramp timer. However, it shouldn't be ridiculously priced high. Technology improves and prices go down (i.e. think HDTV's and computers).

I know from chatting with their rep that one of their goals is to keep price-points as low as possible to remain competitive -- especially when they're competing with companies like Finnex who are pros at keeping cost down while delivering a capable product.
I was expecting it to be more expensive. Your dead right, you do get what you pay for. I don't mind paying it, as it will last a lifetime, give or take. I've seen it said somewhere someone saying, 50,000hrs, run 24hrs a day= 9yrs. I think it's safe to say it'll be worth the price...haha.
Now here's a really stupid question, what is a Pro Ramp timer???

I think it's a given that it will be more expensive because as with a lot of things, as the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for." I mean, this new fixture has more output, higher quality LED chips, and comes with a Pro Ramp timer. However, it shouldn't be ridiculously priced high. Technology improves and prices go down (i.e. think HDTV's and computers). I know from chatting with their rep that one of their goals is to keep price-points as low as possible to remain competitive -- especially when they're competing with companies like Finnex who are pros at keeping cost down while delivering a capable product.
I'm glad that prices are coming down, but I'm still disappointing in the market choices. I feel that the Ray II is as popular as it is because it is a high out, low frill fixture that ends up being decent value for the price, and is somewhere between the dime-a-dozen crap LEDs out there (looking at you Marineland) and the high end (read: expensive) fixtures largely relegated to the less coin adverse saltwater side of the hobby. I see this new fixture and can't help but think that things like inline rampers and dynamic clouds are only going to unnecessarily add to price of an otherwise solid fixture, making it more targeted at luxury buyers rather than the economy market that is largely dominated by T5HO technology. Mark my world, the first LED HO fixture to be sold at Petco for a reasonable price will be the new status quo for aquariums. I guess we'll see when the prices come out.

I'm glad that prices are coming down, but I'm still disappointing in the market choices. I feel that the Ray II is as popular as it is because it is a high out, low frill fixture that ends up being decent value for the price, and is somewhere between the dime-a-dozen crap LEDs out there (looking at you Marineland) and the high end (read: expensive) fixtures largely relegated to the less coin adverse saltwater side of the hobby. I see this new fixture and can't help but think that things like inline rampers and dynamic clouds are only going to unnecessarily add to price of an otherwise solid fixture, making it more targeted at luxury buyers rather than the economy market that is largely dominated by T5HO technology. Mark my world, the first LED HO fixture to be sold at Petco for a reasonable price will be the new status quo for aquariums. I guess we'll see when the prices come out.
You think you have it bad. Try google some Irish sites, Ebay.ie, Amazon.co.uk or any European sites. You'll see what expensive is!!!

lighting - Seahorse Aquariums Ltd

Aquaworld Aquariums :: Lighting System

I was expecting it to be more expensive. Your dead right, you do get what you pay for. I don't mind paying it, as it will last a lifetime, give or take. I've seen it said somewhere someone saying, 50,000hrs, run 24hrs a day= 9yrs. I think it's safe to say it'll be worth the price...haha.
Now here's a really stupid question, what is a Pro Ramp timer???

It's going to be a variation of this:

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/07/30/ramp-timer-pro/

Yeah I agree... I hope they do offer a flavor without the added cost of that ramp timer controller. Unless of course, they somehow cut costs to make the price increase in that regard miniscule. Finnex recently had a 'sneak peak' regarding their version of an HO LED system as well. I recall reading that it would have higher output than a Ray 2, dimmable w/timer, and probably full spectrum like the Planted+. Don't you just love competition? It helps companies stay innovative and drive prices down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom